2nd gen DSM side mount turned top mount intercoole - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2nd gen DSM side mount turned top mount intercoole
Saturday, March 19, 2005 6:47 PM
Just figured something neat out. If you have a 2.0 OHC turbo motor you take can a stock side mount intercooler off of a 95+ DSM (eagle talon, mitsu eclipse, I don't think awd or fwd matters) all you have to do is shorten one inlet pipe and it fits perfectly where the stock pipe sits. You have to bend the oil dipstic out of the way, and cut a hole in the hood and build a scoop but it fit's perfectly there. the intercooler sits below the level of the hood so the intercooler itself doesnt' stick out of the hood. The only foreseeable problem is that if you sit in stop and go traffic a lot, it could turn into an interheater very easily. The turbo and manifold sit right underneath there, but if you stay moving most of the time and have a descent scoop it works awesomely. I've come off of some descent runs around town at 12psi on the stock baby turbo and the intercooler is cool to the touch! Just thought I would pass on this wonderful bit of info... I cut a U in my hood lifted up the flap, cut a couple triangles and and riveted the whole mess into sweet redneckness. You could find a subaru STI style scoop or something similiar if you are on less of a budget than I. My sunbird gets some weird looks but it holds it's own. Have fun

1990 Pontiac Sunbird GT turbo
-TGP turbo
-DSM SMIC turned TMIC
-Injectors

Re: 2nd gen DSM side mount turned top mount intercoole
Saturday, March 19, 2005 7:16 PM
i was gonna mount mine (if i got to finish my project) under the bumper. so it gets air, yet still stays hidden. i like the fact that nobody knows what it is... sooo plus plus...

Saturday, March 19, 2005 7:27 PM
Yeah thats why I removed all my A/C crap, just so I could put a biger front mount intercooler which ould work alot better.

Saturday, March 19, 2005 8:39 PM
what intercooler did you use? I tried to do the whole front mount thing, but I was going to have to cut a bunch of stuff up and take the head lights out or put pipes where they would be in danger and figured that was too much work. But if you could us like a grand National style intercooler witha scoop that sticks out below the car and put the cooler where the AC used to be that would pry work pretty good. I would think. but the trick would be finding an I/c where the inlets and outlets are where you want. I was given the DSM cooler when a friend upgraded to a supra intercooler for his TSI. Most people just think my sunbird is some stupid kid that cut his hood up to look cool and did a really crappy job(hint:I'm not a body man and it looks like crap), but I'm sure it still has that sleeper look. They'll never know until I'm dog legging around them I wanna go club rallying with it eventually though so it doesn't have to be pretty

Aaron

1990 Pontiac Sunbird GT turbo
-TGP turbo
-DSM SMIC turned TMIC
-Injectors
Sunday, March 20, 2005 9:37 AM
I havent put it in yet butI plan on using one from a turbo Saab 900, I heard they fit up front pretty good and there pretty big.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search