I NEED A HEART! - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
I NEED A HEART!
Tuesday, March 22, 2005 7:43 PM
The good news is, my water pump is fine, so it's not the pump. The bad news is... I wish it were my water pump. Guess what guys... me and a friend think we narrowed down the problem and it isn't good. Most of my noise was coming from my bad tensioner. Which "bad" would actually be a nice way to describe it. We pulled one of the wires from the plugs and found out it's stuck. Tricked up the wire the old fasion way and hooked it up to see if it was gonna fire.... Result? It locked up. I now have a combustion build up on one of my pistons and possible and dead ring. It ran on 3 cylenders the last day I drove it. I can't drive it anymore cause it's a ticking time bomb

well, once I pull this one plug from my engine, about 900lbs of pressure is gonna shoot out and blow chunks of fuel, oil and maybe even some cherry sprinkles too. So here's where you guys come in. I'm gonna have to do my swap now... there's no other way around it. If I'm gonna have to pull that engine out I might as well replace it with the one I wanted... but it's so much sooner than I had planned and I'm tight for cash and it's all on a time sensative line.

Steng, I know you said you had one sittin in your driveway, but I don't have the time or patience for a rebuild now. So, if anyone finds a good complete 2.0L turbo set-up- with the core, for a good price, please let me know.

My email is Trunkz188@yahoo.com. and you can even call me later if something good comes up I'll lend out my phone number. I'm kinda in a bind and I might have to get a loan.. damn. But anything you guys can swing my way, hopefully sooner than later, but anything at all. I'm at your mercy. All mods and body work is officially on hold. Heart transplant comes before prostetics. Please help me if you can guys.

Originality and Creativity surpasses Popularity

Re: I NEED A HEART!
Tuesday, March 22, 2005 8:57 PM
arch this might be a good time to do the manuel swap as well sence the car will be apart

Wednesday, March 23, 2005 1:12 PM
That sux, if you werent so far away I could have actually goten you a full turbo motor with my deal from the wreckers, but it would be way to much to have it sent to you.
The good thing is I remember you saying your looking for a auto car and there a lot easier to find than a 5 speed car so you have a little luck there its not like ou need a 5 speed car, but man that sux I dont know what I'd do if my car craped out on me like that.
sorry I cant help out arch, I'll keep your tails for you until all this is resolved and your ready for them, not like I got much else to do with them. I was really looking foreward to seeing your car painted and done

Wednesday, March 23, 2005 1:23 PM
What exactly is wrong with the motor you have now anyways? Cause pressure wont build in the cylinder unless both the valves are held closed for what ever reason, and the only thing that could do that is if the cam is screwed, and if it was the other cylinders would not run at all as well.
Pull your valve cover off and get someone to crank the motor and look to see if the valves move for the broken cylinder, if they doo theres no pressure or anything built up in there, so try removing the plug, if you can get it out, you'll see it might be covered in carbon bridging the spark gap causeing it to not spark at all, then just put in a new plug of clean the one that was in there really good and put it back in.
You said something about haveing a carbon build up problem and a good way to get rid of carbon with out to much work is to start the car and slowly pour water into the throttlebody, but not a lot at once or the car will stall out. While your doing this the car will run like crap and smoke a ton but it will clean the majority of the carbon out of the cylinder.
I'm not 100% on the pressure thing I said at the beginning, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I know for a fact that water will clean carbon really good.

Wednesday, March 23, 2005 3:56 PM
first things first... I already ran it by my mechanic friend too and got a second opinion. He agreed.. the pistion is shot. and even tho we haven't pulled it off yet, we're pretty sure the ring is too... badly. We can almost come to that conclusion alone just by how the car cranked and idled. And we're pretty sure the valves are stuck shut down due to the incredible pressure built up around them. I mean, if you were here and you looked at it with us, I'm pretty sure you'd agree. Once I turn that plug to get it out (which I'll probably have to beat the hell out of) it's gonna gush out all that pressure, along with oil and possibly even some fuel. And after we get that far, we're pretty sure the cam is gonna be screwed, the engine is now locked up after we tested the plug. The fastest my Turbo-Hurrican project will be going is foot speed in neutral. I wish it were just a simple carbon build up.

Either way, the engine is old and tired and since I've been planning on swapping anyhow, now's no better a time than any. Only, I wasn't planning so soon so I dunno what my cash situation is gonna be. If I can't find a turbo set up on here... let alone at a decent generous price... I might have to opt out to look for a 3.1L V6 instead... that'd still be an upgrade I'd be happy with. All else fails (and being that time is short) I'd have to find a rebuilt 2liter replacement, which I guess I could add a turbo on to later

So, which brings me to this question in response to:
Quote:

if you werent so far away I could have actually goten you a full turbo motor with my deal from the wreckers, but it would be way to much to have it sent to you.

Is this something you can still do? and how much? I wouldn't mind covering up to like 180$ worth of shipping expenses cause that's about how much any other engine will cost me. If this is something you still have access to, let me know.. you know I'd be interested, especially if it's a complete set up. I hate repeating ''complete set up'' all the time, but I'd rather make one big purchase and have it, instead of having to track down all the parts. you can leave one here or email me sometime letting me know.

If nobody has any grasps on a turbo set up, how about a 3.1L V6? Please help me if it's in your capabilities too, I'm not asking anyone to go out of their way for me by any means, you know what I mean tho.

Wednesday, March 23, 2005 5:24 PM
sorry to hear your engine is so bad off arch, ummm you try that site(i think its carpartssearch or something along those lines, only problem is those are usually the junkyards that want 300 for just the engine.... i was looking for a 3.1, 2.4 HO, 2.0turbo, etc on their for weeks but i cant find a link anymore)

wicked
Wednesday, March 23, 2005 6:51 PM
well, I know I've been raving about the lt3... I guess I'm gonna go 3.1 V6... mechanic friend of mine has about three companies he deals thru and he's gonna find me specs and prices for me by about saturday and by then I'll know just about exactly what I'm gonna do. I had decided going 3.1 long before I ever considered turbo anyway and will be just as satisfied. It may be a good month or two til all the dust gets settled but after it's all over with, I'll already have my swap done. I believe the 3.1 will almost bolt up completely perfect with the 2.0 mounts and tranny, am I right? and I'm pretty sure I'm gonna have to get a new fuel pump... that's almost a no brainer. This isn't exactly when and how I wanted to go about the swap, but I'm feeling better already. Sorry about the turbo rant guys. If anyone knows of any V6's in fine condition for around a grand or so, let me know. My nerves have been gettin me.

Wednesday, March 23, 2005 7:08 PM
if its just pistons I have a set for a 2.0 N/A they just need a cleaving and new rings
Ill give them to you for a cheap price. 50.00 plus shiping . I also have almost everything for a 2.0 turbo everything cheap I have the block,intake manifold,head,cam carrier,distributer,fly wheel, and crank all you need is pistons,lifters and the turbo stuff. if interested email me at acbigshow@hotmail.com well work out something hate to see a jbody down
Wednesday, March 23, 2005 7:11 PM
I don't know about the problem you're describing- with the valves not opening at all, if that were true, that would have to mean that your cam is wiped or broken, in which case, it wouldn't run. But, if you're going the v6 route, you can find a many engines for less than a grand. I'd suggest buying a 5speed for it also to bolt in. I know I can pick up a 5speed for about 100 bucks, maybe another 20-50 for the shifter and the other assemblies and stuff you'll need. www.car-parts.com/ will guide you to some scrapyards were you could pick up a 3100 or 3400. That's the direction I'd go if I were you. good luck
Wednesday, March 23, 2005 8:11 PM
like I said, we haven't pulled it out and seen the condition of the valves or piston but believe me it's in bad shape. and I'm almost certain the ring is shot. I dunno that the cam is dead, but I'd end up spending more to replace parts than just to do the swap. It's more logical this way. I've always had a fair share of problems with the current engine, it needs retired.

he can probably get me a new V6 for definitely less than $1500. I know the 3100 and 3400 are both reasonably good swaps to do, but I only had my mind set on V6 or turbo and the V6 is more conceivable... not to mention simpler. I'm not worried about the trans swap, at least for now... perhaps later down the road. my main concern is pulling my current engine out and dropping in the new one. If I had more time and money to work with Id definitely go ahead and swap the tranny out while I'm at it, but that's life. Maybe I sound a bit naive with it, but I'm not. I still have things to weigh out and compare, but I just think I'm gonna go for the nice solid power from the V6 and install a locker in the rear passenger side wheel, like around $70ish (he said he'd buy and install the locker for me just cause he's excited about the swap) to get all the power I should from it. I appreciate the help and offers from you guys. I doubt I'll regret it.

Wednesday, March 23, 2005 10:05 PM
I could probobly get the motor but it would be a ton of work and a huge hassle just to get it to my house then I'd have to ship it out to Texas, and I live in canada, thats really far to ship something.
But I think you would be better of with a v6 given your situation, there easy to find and swap in and they can always be turbo'd later without changing internals, and you get lots of power from it by swaping on a 3100 top end and a million other things like that, that are interchangeable. I still think the 2.0 has more potential but the v6 is also a good motor, one of the main reasons I'm swaping in a 2.0 turbo is cause I know the 2.0 a lot better than I know the v6's. The 3.1 is also easier to find parts for and there everywere in a autowreckers cause so many GM cars came with that motor, unlike the 2.0 that was only in sunbirds from 87-90 and grand ams from 88-89 and there even harder to find with a 5 speed
Hope you get your car up and running soon.

Thursday, March 24, 2005 5:39 AM
It's alright man, you know I appreciate you either way. tails are one thing, but I dunno what I was thinking asking you to ship me an engine, lol. But in any case, I think I'll be just as happy with a V6... since that's what I wanted to do in the first place. I figure in the long rong I could do the 3100 top end install and be done with it. Adding a turbo would be too much... and I don't want my front end to be too heavy either. Just the V6 alone, stock, will be much more power than I had with the 2.0. I agree, the 2.0 has so much potential I was hooked on wanting to find out just how much but it's not that important. I encourage you to go turbo tho, not only do I think it'd suite you well, but a turbo T-top sunbird!?!? I mean c'mon right! how much @ss would that kick. I thin I'll get it dropped in sooner than later. RIght now I'm just saving everything I can to throw at one and get it done sooner than later. I'm actually quite excited about it. The engine swap was gonna be my biggest mod. Once it's outta the way, I can do everything else to support it knowing I actually do have the power I wanted under the hood. Kinda like doing your homework on a friday night... lmao. this next month- 2months will be killer tho. Sadly enough, I'll be driving my stang in the meantime. anyway, I gotta get to work. talk to you later man.

Thursday, March 24, 2005 9:19 AM
I'm still definatly going turbo and I just found a turbo 5 speed car that I might be getting the tranny out of soon and I can get all teh rest of the stuff when I go to the wreckers, I also found out one of my friends had a turbo convert and sold it but kept the fender flares for his car (a fiero) but they didnt fit and theve been sitting in his shed for a few years so he gave them to me Now I have almost all the parts I need to finnish my exterior, except a few common things that are easy to get a hold of.
If your doing a v6 swap why not just swap in a 3100 instead of doing the tope end conversion later, just a thought if you can find a good one soon, thats what a lot of guys are doing on v6z24.com and if your putting in a v6 you need to swap trannys cause the 2.0 OHC tranny wont bolt up to any v6 so get a 4 speed auto (i dont know the code for it) or a 5 speed, what ever you can find.

Thursday, March 24, 2005 5:11 PM
and once ya finish you're gonna break out the welding rods and gouging irons and hack that top off lmao!! nah, I'm glad. as I said from the very beginning... I'm very excited to see this conversion done and once you drop the turbo in on top of that

VROOM VROOM baby.

I don't really feel like messing with swapping the top end yet. And time is of the essence. I'm somewhat pressed just to get an engine in period. And as you know I want to get it over with and finish up my body work. I got my springs in today... my strut mounts shoulda been with them but perhaps they were seperated. I've emailed them and will call them tomorrow to find out what's up with that. In the meantime, I've gotta focus on this engine. If it werent' a time issue, I would tyrin, believe me.

and since we're on that subject... why won't the tranny bolt up? I didn't think there'd be a problem. if that's true I might have to start searching for a transmission as well. please tell me it'll bolt up cause I'd hate to have to spend more money while it's already as tight as it is.

Thursday, March 24, 2005 6:03 PM
The bolt pattern on the trans that bolts to the engine is diffrent, You might be able to make it work by getting out a welder and welding tabs to the trans and engine to use as mounting points to hold the two together, but it would be easier to just find a 3.1 cavy for a few hundred bux and swap the motor and trans over at once.

Thursday, March 24, 2005 7:44 PM
its an additional 150+ to swap in a 3100/3400 just for the mounts, and we need to swap trannys to boot, so basically its cheaper to do the hybrid by far than the 3100 or atleast in the short run in the long run well if you have the time to deal with it then save and go the highertop end in the end route with a 3400 but he doesnt have time to deal with getting mounts made and everything i dont think

wicked
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search