gas millage question - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
gas millage question
Sunday, March 20, 2005 4:21 PM
someone is telling me that i'll get better gas millage with out a cat. is that true? i don't think so, but i might be wrong. I'm currently running stock 2" pipe, but will be going up to 2 1/4" when i install my body kit and i'm wondering if i should install a aftermarket cat or not.

Re: gas millage question
Monday, March 21, 2005 8:21 AM
Will you get better mileage w/o a cat? Of course, it restricts exhaust. Is it really that noticeable a difference on a car like yours? Not at all. If you're questioning the effectiveness of a Hi-Flow cat, I wouldn't bother. Unless you're flowing some serious exhaust gases (and you're not) you won't have a problem with a modern replacement cat. There's not really all that much difference between a modern replacement and a Hi-Flow.

-----------------------
1992 3.1L Chevy Cavalier Z24
No one EVER suspects the Cavalier.
Proud Second Gens -- There's no replacement for displacement!
Monday, March 21, 2005 9:41 AM
i'll be removing the cat when i get all new exaust then, thanks.

Monday, March 21, 2005 11:15 AM
Do they not do emissions testing in your part of the world? Besides, its like I said. You're not going to see any noticeable difference and you'll be polluting the @!#$ out of the air.

-----------------------
Monday, March 21, 2005 2:17 PM
not only that if your not careful youll throw off your comp and run rich as he!! then your blowing more gas..... or youll run lean and tear up your engine

wicked
Monday, March 21, 2005 3:28 PM
hmm, then i guss i will install a Cat i know my current one rattles like hell and needs to be replaced anyway, and with the body kit going on the car in the summer, i'll wait untill then.
Well i heard it's only after 96 or something you need a cat. but i'll check into it. I live in Manitoba. It'll probley just be better and safer to install a cat. it'll cost a bit more, but w/e.
The car is going to be my daily driver so it's not like i'm running a race set up or something. Thanks guys, i'll fork out that extra bit of cash and get a cat.
I'm thinking about running 2 1/4", i was going to go 2 1/2" but i think i only need 2 1/4.

Monday, March 21, 2005 8:50 PM
actually its 76 when they started putting cats on cars(someone correct me if im a couple years off) thus if you have a car older than that no cat no prob car newer big fines, and your screwing you engine one way or another
all you need on that car is 2.25 unless your gonna say drop in a 3400 with a turbo....
and you can pick a new one up for 30ish on ebay just keep your eyes open

wicked
Friday, March 25, 2005 10:28 AM
Why wait for a purchase from ebay? You can get a universal cat from advance auto parts for around $45, nice and cheap. Then just grab yourself some sleeves and clamps and you're set.

-----------------------
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search