I'm a newbie, please HELP - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
I'm a newbie, please HELP
Thursday, March 24, 2005 3:50 PM
Last Sept. I bought a 92 sunbird w/ a 3.1 L . I got a new clutch put in and new brake pads put right away and then left it in the garage until today. When I started driving it the check gauges light game on almost instantly. About a half mile down the road the temp. gauge was almost to the red. The oil pressure needle was spun around backwards and on the wrong side of the pin. Also, smoke was coming from the front driver-side wheel, i think it is from the new brake pads. I don't know much about these cars, can someone help me?

Re: I'm a newbie, please HELP
Thursday, March 24, 2005 4:56 PM
well, the one thing I can tell you is when you put on or install new pads there is a clear coating that they have on them. it takes driving several miles and the coating will work its way off. This isnt' a bad thing. How much smoke was there? Was there a slight burning smell? if so that's just the coating burning off when you brake. But great buy on the car man. You came to the right place.

As far as the temp and oil pressure... I'm not sure. Was it actually overheating or was it just the guage? And it wasn't doing anything like that before the shop? If not, I'd take it back immediately and point it out to them. Don't let too much time go by. If you weren't overheating then they just did something with your face guages. take it back, tell them, work it out.

Originality and Creativity surpasses Popularity

Friday, March 25, 2005 7:54 AM
I have a 93 sunbird and the oil pressure sending unit was bad and waped the needle all the way around
Saturday, March 26, 2005 9:10 AM
I figured out why it is over heating, the fan isn't kicking in. Does anyone know how to fix this?
Saturday, March 26, 2005 10:32 AM
My car came with a dead water temp gauge Thats how I found out my water pump died one day because smoke was pouring from the underside of the car...

Saturday, March 26, 2005 6:10 PM
how to fix a fan...

check the wiring, if it's good and connected, and still don't work, BUY A NEW ONE

Saturday, March 26, 2005 7:03 PM
word. can't tell you the number of times I had cooling problems do to inactive fan. that's an easy one. wait til your heater core chokes, radiator busts, fan motor dies and thermostat burns... all at the same time. now there's some coolin' problems. oi.

Originality and Creativity surpasses Popularity

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search