New Engine - Page 2 - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: New Engine
Sunday, April 03, 2005 3:43 PM
no the fiero valve covers wont fit a gen 2/3 motor. the aluminum heads are a complete redesign from the cast iron counterparts, and nothing is interchangable.

Sunday, April 03, 2005 5:26 PM
So if you wanted those valve covers you would have to swap the heads, intake and exhaust manifolds, basically the hole top end from an iron head car? Or is the block diffrent to?
Just curious cause my friend has a fiero with a 3.1 and he wants these valve covers on it, he is thinking of going turbo so swaping on iron heads is a good idea anyway, they could flow pretty good with a little work.

Sunday, April 03, 2005 7:21 PM
Hey, Arch...

That's a nice find! FYI, the power level on the stock Turbo Grand Prix wasn't the killing factor. The cost was very high. Driveability rather sucked, too. There are custom chips available or you can learn to burn your own.

The general consensus may be out on the turbo size, but I'm fairly sure that the Garrett T28 is used on the TGP 3.1 engine. The flange is the same size as a T25, which limits upgrades. If this engine already has a T3 or similar flanged turbo then you're miles ahead.

The ecm and wiring harness from a 3.1 Cavalier may be easier to adapt than trying to force the Grand Am or a modified TGP harness to work. The 1227727 ecm used with the TGP engine shares chips with the 1227730 ecm used in the 2nd gen 3.1 J car. So you can use all stock ecm mounting location for the J and just swap in the TGP chip instead of trying to force the TGP ecm to live under the hood.

Have fun, and remember to buy tires in quantities of 6 since the fronts won't last but a few minutes with this engine.

-->Slow
Sunday, April 03, 2005 8:21 PM
Mr.Efficiency (Tyrin) wrote:Thats a camaro intake, the valve covers are fiero. Sharkey, will the fiero valve covers not fit on aluminum heads?
arch, hows the motor comming do you got the old one out yet? when do you think you'll have it in by? We need pics when your done

I meant camaro. i was rushing off to work. just talked it out tonight, the guy decided to just bring it in for me, sets me back a day, to tuesday.. but actually that's fine since that's my first real day off from work (in 16 days). there'll be pics, oh yes, there'll be pics. we're already about to start the work, actually my buddies moving out all the junk, and I use the word junk loosly to describe lesser cool cars as mine, so that he can move mine in and have an empty bay next to it to move the other car in next to it. then we're gonna be ready for the swap.

THANKS! yea, considering it's such a rare engine and only a few thousand were made, I guess I'd have to consider myself one lucky bastard. not to mention this thing isn't stock. well, I heard the price gave em a heartattack and if they survived that they killed themselves on the road. driveablilty won't be an issue, this is gonna all be custom. and a brand new suspension supporting it all. I've got a few connections as far as chips go and a guy who does burning and diagnostics.

As far as all the research I've done I've found that only the Garrett T-25 was used on the stock... I'm pretty sure the engine I'm using has the stock turbo on it but I'll smooth out the details tuesday. I've got it worked out. I know I'm gonna have to buy some extra rubber, but I gotta get everything else in order first. I'm soooo giddy.

Originality and Creativity surpasses Popularity

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search