Second Gen Z24 swap question - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Second Gen Z24 swap question
Sunday, March 27, 2005 2:35 PM
Hey all....I am new here on this forum. My brother and I are currently working on a project. He owns a 94 cavalier RS convertable. We picked up a 92 Z24 cavalier convertable, and swapped most of the Z24 panels over. When we finished putting the front end on, (hood, fenders, bumper and grill) a lot of the seams did not line up nicely. I don't think theres to much room for adjustment here...has anyone else done this swap and had similar problems??? Should we not keep our expectations too high, because it is not a factory assembled front end? Any help would be great
thanks
Lee

Re: Second Gen Z24 swap question
Sunday, March 27, 2005 3:03 PM
i do not have an answer for you, i am just going to watch this post because i picked up a '94 cavalier, and bought the bumpers, side skirts, door pieces, hood, etc from a '93 z24. i did not put them on yet (they are not even sanded and primed yet) but chances are i will run into adjustment problems.. so i am gonna follow this.

hope it ends up working out for you, just to let you know you're probably not alone!
-Kev

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/682845/ <=== my '91 Sunbird LE 2.0 4cyl
Sunday, March 27, 2005 3:07 PM
you will need to align it all with shims and such. the best idea when swapping a front end is to do one thing at a time. take the fenders off and put the new fenders on, and align them. put the new bumper on and ilign it, same with the header pannel, and finaly the hood. this would make sure everything lines up.

your best bet would be to start with the fenders. get the gaps right to the doors. you will need to use shims to do this. then do the header pannel, bumper, and hood.

Sunday, March 27, 2005 5:50 PM
...ok...well, the entire front end in on now....but we did do the fenders first, then bumper. (we attached the hood weeks ago) But I am gonna swap over the headlights because it seems that that is where a big part of my problem is for some reason (ie the grill is crooked, and the headlights don't line up with the side marker lights)...so i'll switch over the headlights, and try to re-align the fender and hood....the driver fender looks perfect by the way....
thanks for the tips
Lee
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search