Engine swap thinking supercharged 3.8 in 2nd gen - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Engine swap thinking supercharged 3.8 in 2nd gen
Friday, April 01, 2005 5:44 PM
whats krakin all i thinkin of an engine swap in my 89 z24 the 2.8 has been raced three seasons and is starting to lose powere so im gonna move to bigger displacement. The engine out of a supercharged garnd prix 3800 series 3 crate motor . but am tryin to figure out how to get it in there any ideas?

Re: Engine swap thinking supercharged 3.8 in 2nd g
Friday, April 01, 2005 6:48 PM
been done a couple times

Z24 Cardomain Site ll ZQ8 Car Domain Site
Friday, April 01, 2005 7:53 PM
I'd reccomend a hammer. A very large hammer. Then some JB Weld. I can't imagine what else you'd need...wait..DUCT TAPE!

-----------------------
1997 Cavalier Z24
1992 Cavalier Z24 - *RIP*
"I consistently feel like something's missing out of the new cavvy. I'm pretty sure its 2 cylinders."
Friday, April 01, 2005 8:06 PM
drop it in there and let's run. I'm droppin my v6-turbo in the beginning of this coming week. I think it'd be nice, but like steve said, you'll need to do a buncha moddin. I'm havin to do a few tweaks here and there on mine such as line lock system and might be addin some weight in the front to keep the front end on the ground so take into consideration stuff like that as well. keep us updated. .....

Originality and Creativity surpasses Popularity

Friday, April 01, 2005 8:40 PM
o i will i need that @!#$ where u from (arch)
we race when i done (hopefully depending where u livin0 JUggalo 4 life
Friday, April 01, 2005 8:47 PM
I'm in mid-texas, not proudly I might add. movin to new york in the next year or so but not being one to brag, my j is about to be a beast. I need another beasty j to drag and the engine you're talking about would be a nice match up. word.

Friday, April 01, 2005 9:13 PM
haha ya it would be tight its a crate motor direct from gm so imma change the pistons and crank and throw 200 shot inthe mix get an enlarge scharger and then personally i don't think u'd stand a chance but i gotta figure out how to get that bitch in there lol tight @!#$ good to here ur cars goin pretty smooth man peace i'm out
Friday, April 01, 2005 9:19 PM
i'll be running a double shot myself and could push 425ish hp. we'd have to see, but it'd be fun either way

Friday, April 01, 2005 9:22 PM
ya no doubt but i live in canada lol only problem
Friday, April 01, 2005 9:35 PM
you'll have the beast of the north and I'll have the beast of the south. BLAM
it's a revolution for 2nd gen j's

Friday, April 01, 2005 9:46 PM
haha tight @!#$ no doubt eh we @!#$in show them stangs and civic bitches

Saturday, April 02, 2005 3:25 PM
Were are you in canada wes? Theres a few drag strips around my area and if your close onec you get your swap done and I finjish mine I'll challenge you for the tittle of "Beast of the North", lol
I'm working on a 2.0 turbo swap and I've got a ton of mods planned for it

Arch, Imoving to new york eh? sweet I'm not to far from there maybe I'll see you at a few shows that are kinda in between us, cause once I get my car done its going to be at every show I can make it to, lol

As for the 3800 SC swap, its been done in a J theres a Fiero were I live with that motor in it and a 3.1 is a tight fit in that car and he managed to get a 3800 in so its should'nt be to bad in a J.
Good luck with it.

Saturday, April 02, 2005 4:05 PM
i live in b.c if at any time ur in this area i'm up for the challenge JUggalo 4 life
Saturday, April 02, 2005 5:48 PM
I'm in ontario, so your pretty far from me, but once this car is done I do plan to travel a lot, I'm taking it to florida for the GRM 2006 challenge
Wes, fill out your registry, just makes it easier for people to find out were your from and what kind of car you have etc...

Sunday, April 03, 2005 7:31 AM
Mr.Efficiency (Tyrin) wrote:Were are you in canada wes? Theres a few drag strips around my area and if your close onec you get your swap done and I finjish mine I'll challenge you for the tittle of "Beast of the North", lol
I'm working on a 2.0 turbo swap and I've got a ton of mods planned for it

Arch, Imoving to new york eh? sweet I'm not to far from there maybe I'll see you at a few shows that are kinda in between us, cause once I get my car done its going to be at every show I can make it to, lol

As for the 3800 SC swap, its been done in a J theres a Fiero were I live with that motor in it and a 3.1 is a tight fit in that car and he managed to get a 3800 in so its should'nt be to bad in a J.
Good luck with it.

after I learn the handling I'm gonna run mine down at the local track and blow some asses away. But I need someone to challenge me for ''Beast of the South" while I'm still down here. mmmm Turbo T-top... now that's sexy alliteration.

yup, new york, and though this engine work is setting back my moving plans be several months... it's going to be well worth it. Yea, we'll definitely bunk up at some shows... for sure. I have a few friends in new york and one of them lives there and goes to school in ontario. so who knows. As soon as this engine is dropped in I'm entering in all the shows I can possibly make it to. there was one this thursday but my hours at work got jumbled around and now I can't go... and the crappy part is, it's only the first thursday of each month for a few months. But I'll schedule off for May. I might still be wrapping up the engine thursday anyway.

Sunday, April 03, 2005 9:52 AM
Arch, Whats wrong with Texas? I've never been but I want to and it looks cool, but all I've seen of Texas is the NASCAR races on tv, lol and I love that track so I always liked Texas, but you live there so I'll take your work for it, lol
And did you heard I got my glass problem solved, so now my only major task is to brace the car good before I start cutting into the roof

Sorry your thread is kinda going a little off topic Wes, lol So whats the progress on the swap? do you have the motor or do you just know were you could get one and your staring the planning and doing the resaech before you start?

Sunday, April 03, 2005 1:15 PM
sound like some awsome wokr going on. I just finished boring my block 40 over,port ad polished the head and shaved it aswell getting ready to slap a T3 turbo on it and boost around 15lbs,Im looking at around 325hp.the cool ting is its a lt3 engine in a mpi
engine dosnt look turbo but it is
Sunday, April 03, 2005 5:37 PM
I'd rather use the turbo intake just cause it says TURBO on it, lol I'm not sure what kind of horse power I'm going to be pushing, I'm just going to do everything I can possibly do to make this thing faster and stronger while its apart and hope for the best. With a $3 mod that takes a minute to instal you can run 13's with a lt3 so I'm going to shoot for 12's without nos I dont like it cause its to hard on the motor, but mostly caus ei dont know a hole lot bout it, but I'm sure after I get this thing vuilt and in I might look into nos and if I like what I find then I might get a kit. My friend has a turbo dodge rampage and hes running nos on a factory motor so it cant be that bad.
I am running propane though, just cause of its higher octane so I can run more boost with out fear of detonation. I'm also getting a copper head gaskt made so I can run lots of boost
Aaron, dont forget to buy forged dished pistons to take the abuse of boost and have a compression of 8.0:1, other wise you'll melt pistons, detonate, etc...

Sunday, April 03, 2005 7:47 PM
already bought the pistons. got them off a friend theat had them in an mitsubishi eclipse. thier JE pistons and Eagle rods. its a $400.00 set up I got for $50.00 thats why its bored 40 over
Sunday, April 03, 2005 8:36 PM
hey ty, texas... is just texas... sorry, but I've lived here jsut about forever and I hate it. maybe it's just cause I'm not a cowboy and i despise hickish type things. but on to other things. YES I heard about the glass... and I'm GLAD cause I'd rather you use real glass over plexi. how much is it gonna run you?
Lol, something about that block with the TURBO on it gets me excited too. but I think I'll settle for my MPFI 3.1 Turbo instead. I'll be shooting for mid 11's. NOS and Nirtous aren't the same thing. NOS is a type of nitro, but I dunno about the NOS... the Nitrous is entirely safe and not too hard on the engine... that's an overrated issue and you can thank ''fast and furious'' for that. Copper head is just lovely.

Aaron, we'll be pushin about the same, but I'm addin nitro so I'll be pushing another 100hp. but I like your setup and the work sounds sweet.

Wes, update us on your plans?

Sunday, April 03, 2005 9:37 PM
sa'll good glad to see good conversation but ya i have the crat e motor from gm and it just got new pistons ,connecting rods,crank,lightened pulleys and a new eaton scharger its gunna get dynoed in two days keep ya up dated were gonna run a dry nitrous dyno too

Monday, April 04, 2005 9:19 AM
I was thinking 12's for my car but I want an easy goal, lol like I said I'm doing eerything possible to make this thing go, so I really hope for 11's a well but I'm not shooting for it. I know a guy who runs 10's in his turbo 4cyl dodge and I'd really like to beat him but 10's are REALLY fast so I'll just wait and see, I'm mostly working on traction, weight and getting as much power as possible through the trans without loosing to much, I've got a few ideas for that, and I'm getting slicks for it. Nothing to extreme just 215/50/15 or 16 depending on how big my brakes are.
I still dont know how much the glass i going to run me, I just saw the shop and started asking peopel I know about it and I've heard good things about them, just havent had the time to stop in and get an estimate yet.

Monday, April 04, 2005 1:12 PM
arch wrote:
Mr.Efficiency (Tyrin) wrote: But I need someone to challenge me for ''Beast of the South" while I'm still down here.

I'm in Indiana...wait till i get my stroked 3.8 done...i'll race ya
Monday, April 04, 2005 1:22 PM
A boosted 3400 would be a much better swap.

Not only wil lthe swap be easier...but you'll have more space to mount a charger or Turbo.

A guy on V6Z24.com has a 3400 swapped Z24 with a remote mount Turbo (Mounted where the muffler is) with 10psi and he ran a 12.5

the 60 degree V6 is a much more level-headed swap to make.

Mr. Efficency....where in Ontario are you? I'm from Brampton...hope to see you at some J-Body meets

1991 3.1L V6 Sunbird LE
15.365@88.52
Full Interior...3-Speed Automatic.

Satisfied Customer of:
POWERSHOP PORTING SERVICE
Tuesday, April 05, 2005 5:32 PM
I'm in Peterborough, your about two and a half hours from me, so I'll probobly see you sometime if theres ever a show around your area and my car is done.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search