auto to manual swap - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
auto to manual swap
Tuesday, March 29, 2005 6:23 PM
I have a 3dr 91 Sunbird LE with the 3.1L V6 that I'd like to convert from the 3 speed auto to a 5 speed transmission. I purchased a complete 92 Cavalier with the 3.1L 5 speed as a donor. While I'm sure this topic has been beaten to death already, I could not find much detail that pertains do the swap using the sister car as a donor.

1) can I use the clutch/brake pedal assembly from the Cavalier in my Sunbird?
2) can I use the shifter and linkage from the Cavalier in my Sunbird?
3) I'll need a different center console, did the 4dr Sunbird ever receive a manual trans and would the 2door body have the same center console?

Is there a detailed FAQ anywhere on how to do this auto to manual swap?

Thanks for putting up with my first post...

Joat

Re: auto to manual swap
Tuesday, March 29, 2005 6:44 PM
all is swapable.

and wtf is a 3door cavalier?

do u have a hatch back or something?

Tuesday, March 29, 2005 7:04 PM
Did I say 3 door?? I meant 4 door!
Wednesday, March 30, 2005 8:31 AM
i think chilton's manual should help u out quite a bit, since they show how to remove everything for the manual and auto trannys, so u shouldnt have much difficulty putting it back together, just on diffrent cars
Saturday, April 02, 2005 7:49 PM
ihave a 94 2.2 auto how hard to swap to manual
Sunday, April 03, 2005 9:04 PM
there's a guy on here, his user name is "burn" he did a 2.2 auto swap with a 3.1L manual, so i think that should be close to what you are trying to accomplish. he has a semi how to and has taken pics of his swap, check it out. also you might want to try v6z24 they have a how to post for auto to manual its a step by step , but no pics tho. hope that helps alittle
Monday, April 04, 2005 7:57 AM
Don't waste your money on a Haynes or Chiltons manual. Spend the extra $20 and buy the factory manual if you plan on doing any work yourself.

As far as I know, there is no How-To written for an auto to manual swap (the one on V6Z24 isn't very good, so it doesn't count). I did one for swapping the NVG T550 behind my 2.2, but thats a specific swap and not generic. You shouldn't really need a How-To to do this type of swap, since its a very basic unbolt and bolt procedure. As long as you use all the 5 spd parts from the donor car, you'll be all set.

Monday, April 04, 2005 7:58 AM
Don't waste your money on a Haynes or Chiltons manual. Spend the extra $20 and buy the factory manual if you plan on doing any work yourself.

As far as I know, there is no How-To written for an auto to manual swap (the one on V6Z24 isn't very good, so it doesn't count). I did one for swapping the NVG T550 behind my 2.2, but thats a specific swap and not generic. You shouldn't really need a How-To to do this type of swap, since its a very basic unbolt and bolt procedure. As long as you use all the 5 spd parts from the donor car, you'll be all set.

Monday, April 04, 2005 1:20 PM
i have....er had a 2.0t (sold engine) but I did a auto to manual swap...wasn't hard at all...cept i have mechanical background...
Tuesday, April 05, 2005 12:07 PM
go to v6z24.com, there is a swap guide there

it's gonna cost what?!?!
0MG 1 AM D157URB1NG 73H P34C3 C4U53 1 7YP3 1N 1337, LOL!!!!111!1!1
Saturday, April 09, 2005 6:41 PM
Thanks for all the replies so far. I've started dismantling the parts car and I think this project is going to be a no brainer.

Does anyone know if any of the 2nd gen Sunbirds ever came with factory cup holders? I'm going to need one with one less hand to use while driving...

Saturday, April 09, 2005 9:17 PM
yea the doorpanels on the 92 and up have them built in. otherwise your gonna have to swap a cavi center console(which you should be doing anyways since you need it for the shifter i *think*)
Friday, April 15, 2005 11:06 PM
dont forget to change computer

everyone now say duh in unison.......NOW!

i know i know - but hey it can happen!
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search