problem with cap - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
problem with cap
Friday, April 15, 2005 11:00 PM
i got a buddy with a problem he's having with his car - the distributor cap keeps fowing up with white crud on the terminals - to the tune of every 3 to 4 days - it drive fine then it will gett a little crappy then all of a sudden, it wont start.

clean off the terminals - it's fine

the terminals get a kind of white scale on them - it chips off easily

replaced cap and rotor - still same problems
new plugs and wires not too long ago maybe has 200 km on them
new ignition modual

the cap is spotless except for the crud on the terminals - no oil - no spark traces carbon tracks or what have you.

the car has a 2.8 liter V6 modified to a 3.1 with a high lift cam modified about 3 years ago but with all the problems - hasn't seen much road action lately, 700 to maybe 1000km

any ideas what might be going on?

Re: problem with cap
Saturday, April 16, 2005 10:57 AM
um, what year is the car??? the v6 cars havent used distributors since 86.

obviously some water has to be gettin in there somehow. it shouldnt be corroding that quickly.

Re: problem with cap
Saturday, April 16, 2005 1:33 PM
well the car is a 1987 fiero with a 2.8 litre V6 that has been modded to a 3.1 Liter

it has the same block - bored out to 3.1 and new 3.1 liter heads

the timing has ben set according to the procedures oulined for a 2.8 - is there a diference in setting the timing for 3.1 than for the 2.8??

the only reason i post here is because the fiero never had a 3.1 and i figure some of you guys have modded 2.8's before to the 3.1

my own car is a 93 sunbird and has a 3.1 BUT it's got a coil pack and electronic ignition so there is nothing to set - so i can't really offer any info to him.

the terminal has almost a white scale "scab" that builds up on the terminal.

he has bought a cheapie "steel" terminal cap and the more expensive bosch "brass" type terminal cap with same results

it hasn't rained or anything for about 4 months now and he can't se any reason water would be getting in there.

the distibutor housing at the bottom has a vent hole with a metal screen on it that allows moisture to get out, i wouldn't think it would be letting crap in. But that's factory though.

also thought perhaps moisture got inside the pickup coil, but it's been a while and i would think any moisture would have evaporated off from engine heat long by now.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search