Custom Wide Body Project Complete + General Update - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Custom Wide Body Project Complete + General Update
Sunday, April 10, 2005 8:20 PM
Reposted from v6z24.com

I've taken a little hiatus from posting these past few months... after a nasty accident involving a Jetta coming to a sudden dead stop for no reason while making a right hand turn on to an empty road, i've been busy redoing my front end... while i was at it, plans for a wide body was drafted.

First of all... The headlights are molded now... the tabs broke in the accident and although i fixed them (for looks), i dont trust tabs that have been snapped irregardless of bonding measures.

Now on to the widebody.

Im not going to make a how to... if you dont have a business license or a good connection, you will not be able to get your hands on the two biggest parts (lucky for me i work in a body shop)

Basically we took Industrial Poly-Ethylene Foam ... bolted it to the car, Cut it to match with my onderground sport kit, BMW M3 Roadster Fender inserts, side skirts, and Ecclipse rear scoops, wrapped it in industrial fiberglass Flease (commonly used in audio shops), resin, marglass, bondo, and then finally primer.

I won't post the finished project until after May 1st, as i plan to debut the widebody on April 29-30 at Slam Session Car Show down in Greenville North Carolina (i'll be entering unfinished WILD class)

For more information on the technique, feel free to visit http://www.theimportshop.tk/ and on the center of the page, click Custom Wide Body.

OKAI HERE ARE THE CONSTRUCTION PICS... i decided to add some midconstruction pics aswell KEEP IN MIND... THESE ARE CONSTRUCTION PICS ONLY... THE FINISHED PICS WILL BE POSTED MAY 1ST AFTER SLAM SESSION SHOW.

DAY 1

MID WAY

General update with my car since December (when i think i last posted)
Door handles Shaved, 35 Lb Auto Loc Poppers installed, Buttons on bottom of each mirror (and they only work when my alarm is not activated) as well as being tied to my alarm remote.
Rear Bumper molded (due to widebody)
Rolled 150,000 Miles (see pic below)
Reupholstered back seat to match my front seat covers... will eventually sitch front seat covers so that they are no longer slip covers and better fit the contours of the seat.
swapped over to sunbird front corner lenses

i had to take this pic...

Re: Custom Wide Body Project Complete + General Up
Monday, April 11, 2005 12:28 PM
how come you didn't post the pic on V6Z24.com
Monday, April 11, 2005 6:51 PM
Not bad. I am making a wide body kit myself, I've been doing it for about a year and 3 months. Would have been done, but I just got back from Iraq. But not looking too bad. Check mine out: http://members.cardomain.com/aarontaz7
Monday, April 11, 2005 7:18 PM
wow... are those fuctional brake cooling vents?

somebody actually went one extra step! wahoo!

looking pretty good so far. can't wait for the finial product.

Monday, April 11, 2005 8:21 PM
Tivon Burrell wrote:how come you didn't post the pic on V6Z24.com

i did ... appearance forum

Aaron wrote:Not bad. I am making a wide body kit myself, I've been doing it for about a year and 3 months. Would have been done, but I just got back from Iraq. But not looking too bad. Check mine out: http://members.cardomain.com/aarontaz7

I think uve posted them somewhere cause i remember seing the pics. are you planning on widing the rest of it out or just the side skirts and fender flairs... also what material did you use... sheet metal, aluminum, or fibreglass

SunValier wrote:wow... are those fuctional brake cooling vents?

somebody actually went one extra step! wahoo!

looking pretty good so far. can't wait for the finial product.

yes and no... i molded the scoops last year... however. i havent done the SAAB 900 rear disc brake conversion yet... so its just cooling my drum brakes (which really dont need to be cooled)

Monday, April 11, 2005 8:35 PM
but the point is that it is open... most people leave the sheet metal there... and don't take the extra step.

i clap for you

Monday, April 11, 2005 8:51 PM
SunValier wrote:but the point is that it is open... most people leave the sheet metal there... and don't take the extra step.

i clap for you

ya in the fender well its open... if u look at the scoop dead on though u see the sheet metal between the scoop and the inside of the car though...

Tuesday, April 12, 2005 12:00 PM
Quote:

I think uve posted them somewhere cause i remember seing the pics. are you planning on widing the rest of it out or just the side skirts and fender flairs... also what material did you use... sheet metal, aluminum, or fibreglass

The rest of the body is going to be wide, just haven't had the time to do it. But I should be getting around to doing it this weekend. And I used 22 gauge steel sheet metal. It will be RWD and I am putting a 350 small block in there.
Tuesday, April 12, 2005 7:36 PM
Aaron wrote:
Quote:

The rest of the body is going to be wide, just haven't had the time to do it. But I should be getting around to doing it this weekend. And I used 22 gauge steel sheet metal. It will be RWD and I am putting a 350 small block in there.

we were gonna do this in aluminum sheet metal and then tack weld it the car... but the foam ended up being easier...

Wednesday, April 13, 2005 7:40 PM
It would not have been bad to use aluminum, but I don't think that would have welded up to the steel. I was going to use some styrofoam myself, but uh......foam and glass doesn't mix.
Thursday, April 14, 2005 9:45 PM
Aaron wrote:It would not have been bad to use aluminum, but I don't think that would have welded up to the steel. I was going to use some styrofoam myself, but uh......foam and glass doesn't mix.

Thats why they make chemical resistant poly-ethylene foam... hehehe glass sits on top of it... soaks in just enough to harden it... but it doesnt eat it or allow it to expand.

its expensive though $33 a sheet for 4x3 feet... i used three on my car

Friday, April 15, 2005 7:30 PM
Where did you get it from? I am going to do my brother's car (96 Beretta) as well, but his is going to be a bit simpler than mine, and should not cost as much. Something like that would help out alot.
Friday, April 15, 2005 7:39 PM
Aaron wrote:Where did you get it from? I am going to do my brother's car (96 Beretta) as well, but his is going to be a bit simpler than mine, and should not cost as much. Something like that would help out alot.

Your not gonna like this

Granger .... and you need a business license to buy from there....

i dont know where else... we searched for a while before we found it

Saturday, April 16, 2005 11:32 AM
Quote:

Your not gonna like this

Um.........that sucks. Would it be possible for me to send you the money, and you order it for me?
Saturday, April 16, 2005 5:02 PM
Aaron wrote:
Quote:

Your not gonna like this

Um.........that sucks. Would it be possible for me to send you the money, and you order it for me?

I gotta check with the shop... we still need to set our account up...they sold me what i needed and told me i had to bring the business license and a copy of the owners ID next time...

I'll get back to ya on this...
Drop me an email... so i can email you back

support@j-body.tk

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search