Adjusting Drum Brakes? - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Adjusting Drum Brakes?
Sunday, April 17, 2005 1:57 PM
Anyone know how to adjust the rear brakes? Not the emergency brake. I upgraded my front brakes and bled the system - now my right rear is sticking. Chilton's shows a spring adjustment screw, but doesn't mention anything about adjustment. Please help.

Re: Adjusting Drum Brakes?
Sunday, April 17, 2005 4:15 PM
you can either turn the self adjusting screw, OR take the easy way out...

Put it in reverse, make a complete stop. drive forward. repeat a few times.

Sunday, April 17, 2005 4:23 PM
If your brake is sticking it's probably a stuck wheel cylinder.

God bless America.
Sunday, April 17, 2005 4:38 PM
thats true.

if the rear brakes don't adjust back to normal... have your wheel cylinder replaced ASAP! trust me, holding off on it will 'cause your brakes to eventually go out and you'll run into the back of a truck and have to be towed home on a Auto Death Bed. (aka. flat bed)

Sunday, April 17, 2005 4:59 PM
have you ever replaced the spings in your drum brakes? if not you should especialy if you leave the parking brake on when you park. its like $7 for all the springs i usally replace them when i change the shoes no big deal.
Monday, April 18, 2005 3:31 PM
OK. Sounds like I better be careful with this one.

Thought I had them adjustly correctly last night, but this morning they changed again. Put her reverse and stopped about 30 times in the parking lot, during lunch. They seemed OK, but given the warnings - I'll change the wheel cylinders and springs.

Forget about the "Auto Death Bed", given the mountain roads I drive every day - it'll be my death bed if my brakes were to go out.
Monday, April 18, 2005 8:12 PM
exactly. brakes are one of the single most important things on your car.

watch them and don't take short cuts on them

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search