Fuel Pump shot? - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Fuel Pump shot?
Monday, April 25, 2005 10:22 PM
I'm trying to firgure out if my 93 3.1 is giving last rites to my fuel pump.

Ran codes, nothing coming up.

Did everything else (plugs/wires O2 jet fuel) and its running very poopy.

It's the only thing I can think of that would cause very bad idle, so-so MPGs,
and less get up and go.

The pump has been in there for all of those 130k, so I wonder if it about time
that it went...I didn't think it would last that long...

those w/ 3.1s, how long do yours last, and do you think mine is about to give up
the ghost...?

Other than that- the car is in pretty good shape...

Re: Fuel Pump shot?
Tuesday, April 26, 2005 1:51 AM
Did you change the fuel filter and check the fuel pressure yet?

http://cavalierman93.googlepages.com/

Tuesday, April 26, 2005 8:09 AM
Fuel filter changed a few months ago, Haven't checked pressure yet...

Tuesday, April 26, 2005 3:15 PM
3.1 is probably one of the most reliable engines you'll ever find. they are known to reach 200k miles and still run fine and use no oil. Mine is at 180k now and no problems, still runs great, pulls hard, no oil usage.
The only real problem with them is the oil seal on the distributor shaft will start to leak a little, and my front main seal went out, but those are both easy to change.

Tuesday, April 26, 2005 3:24 PM
check your cat. it could be stoped up
Tuesday, April 26, 2005 7:41 PM
Cat? Just got a new exhaust a few months back...should be in good shape..

pezed, at the moment I wish I could say the same. I have a lack of power, and the cav
sounds like the idle might not make it through the light (sometimes).

Besides the rust, it's in pretty good shape. It does burn a little bit of oil, but it usually
can go an oil change without losing oil.

In the last year or so, I updated quite a bit:

New shocks, struts, tires, plugs, wires, o2 sensor, battery..I know I'm missing a few
things here....exahaust, muffler...

I plan to switch it over from r12 to 134a in a few weeks....a/c is always nice...

I just want to get power back and the idle back to normal(or close)...

It almost sounds like the pump was making a whining noise...but I have only
cuaght it doing that a few times....

180k? Any suggestions for my cav? She does a mix of city and highway driving..
(more city at the moment)...

3.1s rock..

Tuesday, April 26, 2005 7:53 PM
You might want to check for a few things, You might have a bad, dirty or plug injector, Run a Pressured Fuel Purger and see if it's just a dirty or pluged injector.

On Mine which is a 2.0L Turbo. I had to change the MAT sensor and the O2 sensor..

The code will not come up if the battery has been drain or boosted or disconnected it will reset the ECM!
Wednesday, April 27, 2005 5:16 PM
Graham Fellner wrote:You might want to check for a few things, You might have a bad, dirty or plug injector, Run a Pressured Fuel Purger and see if it's just a dirty or pluged injector.

On Mine which is a 2.0L Turbo. I had to change the MAT sensor and the O2 sensor..

The code will not come up if the battery has been drain or boosted or disconnected it will reset the ECM!

That sounds like a good idea, I should give that a try.

The check engine actaully did come on after the battery was replaced, but the check
engine comes on rarely now.

Sunday, May 01, 2005 7:25 PM
Well, injector was clogged, but it has not fixed the problem...

Wednesday, May 04, 2005 9:54 AM
Yea. Well Here how my O2 sensor started acting up with my car. It would drive fine in the city and started Idling abit rough, Not bad but it really noticed it go rough and the light flickering on when I was on the Highway. but didn't give me a error code, Till I was drive it around in the city when it the light came on and stayed on. That is when I got a hole wack load of errors,..

I when and change the O2 and bag driving again for a few months. And I notice after it was Idle rough I had to change the MAT sensor. And I have changed quiet a few sensor in my car. I have OS, Temp, MAT, and Intake manifold sensor. And I am Question if I have to change my MAP Sensor at this point!

But If you haven't change The O2 sensor and your car is over a 120,000 Km or 100,000 miles.. I would Change that..
Wednesday, May 04, 2005 7:47 PM
Hmm...I just changed my o2 sensor about 4 months back. Gas milage got
better, car idled a little better...

I've noticed too that it is starting really lack some pickup. almost to the point of it
feeling like a trans problem. Once it gets up to speed, it is fine, but it really struggles
to get there.

It could be a sensor, but would it be posssible that the fuel pump might not
have enough pressure (power) to give some pickup to the cav?
I;ve noticed too that the gas guage will move if I hit the gas hard enough(like
getting on the freeway) and lose fuel when I do this.

Thursday, May 05, 2005 2:01 PM
my 2.2 has 235k and did the same thing yours is doing, after so long the motor blew, run a compression check. The rings might be causing the poor performance.
Thursday, May 05, 2005 2:47 PM
Robert Ramirez wrote:my 2.2 has 235k and did the same thing yours is doing, after so long the motor blew, run a compression check. The rings might be causing the poor performance.

Rings? Hmmm..I'm going to have that test run...

I mught stiil have to replace the pump though...

Thursday, May 05, 2005 8:12 PM
my pump is noisy also, its off the car i got the sending unit from, so i still have my origenal as a spare. the 3.1 should never have to get rings replaced.. at least not for quite a long time. Id suggest taking the upper plenum off, then cleaning it out. doing this solved a lot of problems for me, to the point the car didnt like to start cold.

http://www.cardomain.com/id/nocho
there are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary, and those who dont.
Friday, May 06, 2005 8:12 AM
Did your pump make a whining type noise too? I don't hear it all the time, but i do catch
it doing that...

Friday, May 06, 2005 12:29 PM
mostly when i stop and let it idle i hear it going.

there are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary, and those who dont.
Friday, May 06, 2005 7:46 PM
I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but rings go bad in almost every gasoline motor. Diesel engines are probably the only ones that never need ring replacment. Not doing a compression check is like saying you never have to check the oil level!
Friday, May 06, 2005 8:02 PM
um.. yes, they wear out in any car, but i have never heard of a 3.1 that has needed rings, they last darn near forever. Figure by the time rings go in a 3.1, something else has already gone making the engine worth practicaly nothing. now for your 2.2... thats entirely different

Saturday, May 07, 2005 8:30 PM
rich H wrote:mostly when i stop and let it idle i hear it going.

Ok, cool, so then I am not freaking out about this then. Once in a while I can hear
it going while driving...

Saturday, May 07, 2005 8:40 PM
Since you guys mentioned it-Would a 3.1 that does burn oil (even though it is not
much) make this test a good idea? It is something I am thinking about doing anyways
(it sounds like a good idea on an old car).

Are the rings pricey on the 3.1? Easy to do? (can you tell I haven't worked on an engine
in a long time? )

I am kinda getting the idea I am going to need a pump anyways, but fixing the other
problems are important to me too.

I haven't had to tear into a cav this much since my first gen...

Sunday, May 08, 2005 7:58 AM
go ahead and test it for peace of mind.. how long has it been since you replaced the pcv valve? i did mine last year, but i still get oil in my intake hose, that could be part of your problem. Im almost willing to bet that a dirty intake plenum is part of why your idle isnt that great. Could be that your valves are leaky too.

Sunday, May 08, 2005 9:53 AM
Have you tried cleaning your throttle body and the idle air control?

AM I RETARDED or AM I JUST OVER JOYED?
Sunday, May 08, 2005 6:44 PM
John wrote:Have you tried cleaning your throttle body and the idle air control?

Throttle body, yes, idle air control no....

Sunday, May 08, 2005 6:57 PM
rich H wrote:go ahead and test it for peace of mind.. how long has it been since you replaced the pcv valve? i did mine last year, but i still get oil in my intake hose, that could be part of your problem. Im almost willing to bet that a dirty intake plenum is part of why your idle isnt that great. Could be that your valves are leaky too.

Pcv? Actually, I'm not sure...Since I'm not sure, I should replace it too...

Though I think it is burning a little oil on the top...

Monday, May 09, 2005 7:21 AM
so while you're in there, replace the intake plenum gaskets, and clean out the plenum with a heavy degreaser... even if it isnt the problem you will be amazed at what it can do.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search