Manual Brake Master Cylinder??? - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Manual Brake Master Cylinder???
Saturday, April 30, 2005 2:25 PM
Did any 2nd gens come with manual brakes?

I'd like to convert the drag car over to manual brakes and get rid of the large vacuum cannister.

A late 1st gen setup may work as well, just need to know what years to look for.

I found a manual steering rack online, so the removal of power steering will happen soon.

Project S-Bird

Re: Manual Brake Master Cylinder???
Saturday, April 30, 2005 8:36 PM
I'm not sure any Jbodies came with manual brakes, but im sure some GM vehicle did that you could interchange with. Camaro master cylinders bolt up for sure, check around for any non-power MC's for camaros?

Monday, May 02, 2005 6:27 PM
Thats one I've never heard before......

You may want to just look for any car that came with manual brakes (or buy an aftermarket master cylinder) and bolt it in.

Or maybe run a vacuum pump instead? Are you just trying to get rid of the booster all together, or is it in the way?

Tuesday, May 03, 2005 5:29 AM
Correct,

I'm removing the booster because it puts the MC in the way of my strut bar.

It's dead weight and power brakes are not required for a 1900lb drag car.

I started looking into AP, Wildwood, etc. manual master cylinders and pedal kits. as an alternative.

This is nice integrated solution as well

http://www.classicperform.com/NewProducts/MCPV-1.htm

Project S-Bird
Wednesday, May 04, 2005 11:51 PM
what do u mean manual brakes???...anything that wasnt ment for ur car is more than likey gunna call for some famrication, just go to the junkyard and grab a brake system off an old chevette
Thursday, May 05, 2005 6:10 PM
from what i head f body brake systems will bolt up..i got a few but they were all older ( 70) which had front disc, so they all have boosters on them sorry, i would be able to tell you if it would fit by trying to bolt em up but i got to much work ahead of me ( moms car + gaurd rail + bad road conditions). but is there any manual racks that will bolt up to our cars? im having issue trying to find a manual rack from a j around here
Monday, May 09, 2005 7:50 PM
Corey,

You can buy a manual rack from the local parts store for a 2nd gen, but like anything with these cars the parts to make it work (the conversion parts) are somewhat hard to find.

You will need the rubber grommets/isolators to mount it on the firewall and a splined coupler from a manual steering column.

The P/S rack is a smaller diameter than a manual rack. 38mm vs. 55mm. The metal U
straps are the same, but the rubber isolators are diffferent.

The manual steering column coupling is no longer available from GM and I'm on the hunt for one at the moment.

Dig into the local salvage yards for a 84-90 J with a manual rack and get the parts noted.

The above info is from a recent investigation myself.

Project S-Bird
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search