Wheel bearings w/ ABS 2.2L - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Wheel bearings w/ ABS 2.2L
Monday, May 09, 2005 8:03 PM
Symptoms:

-Front end is starting to make a grinding noise only when going straight or turning right.
-If I turn left the sound goes completely away.
- I can feel the vibes in the pedals....clutch and brake
- When I hit a bump and the suspension unloads the sound goes away momentarily.

I'm pretty sure its the driver side front wheel bearing going out on the car. Anyone ever replace these? How do you check to see if its the wheel bearing?

As you all may know, they are like 60 bucks to replace, and they are a sealed unit so there is no way to opened the thing up to inspect the bearings. I have the front left wheel off the car, but theres really no way to tell if its screwed.

Any tips on how to remove these? I already have the tire, caliper, and rotor off the car. I pretty much need to remove the center nut, and use a two prong puller to yank the thing out. Any other tips? Does ABS mean that i'd have to have a special hub?

Thanks

87GT.com

Re: Wheel bearings w/ ABS 2.2L
Monday, May 09, 2005 8:37 PM
well to check the bearing you can see if it has movement (up&down) or you can jack up th car and use a long screwdriver or prybar on the inside of the hub to see which one has noise (put your ear on the end of the screwdriver so you can hear) then just take everything apart rotor, caliper,axle nut, and the 3 bolts holdin the bearing on. when you get a ne one just specify ABS.

nothing
Monday, May 09, 2005 9:41 PM
Thats the thing....I spoke with a guy at a local repair shop about it and he quoted me for a specific ABS part. I went to the local pep boys and they didnt know the difference....they had a timken $90 hub and bearing or a $60 value bearing. This is a BEATER so I obviously went cheap on it....dont really care to have $30 extra held up in a timken bearing....lol...

I hear ya about the noise...I guess I'll jack the other side up and get it on a jack stand...see if that has any play or if its makin noise. The amount of noise coming off the car you would think the damn wheel was ready to fall off. Its really hummin....I left it a lone for a good 2000 miles before it got to this point. Its gotta get replaced asap....i'm stuck driving the mustang to work and back daily now (which isnt HORRIBLE :p )

87GT.com

Monday, May 09, 2005 11:37 PM
the abs sensor is on the axel not in the bearing on the front. you wont need a puller , just tap the end of the axel with a hammer lightly and it'll pop free.

Tuesday, May 10, 2005 9:43 AM
the new bearing will have an abs tone ring on it, thats the difference since your car has abs. when you listen for the noise make sure the wheels are moving. lol and it wont fall off you still have an axle nut and 3 other bolts .

nothing
Tuesday, May 10, 2005 5:32 PM
once again there is only 1 front bearing for 82-94 J body they are all the same ABS or not. The difference is in the axel, ABS have a toothed ring on the axel next to the sensor.

Tuesday, May 10, 2005 8:36 PM
your right my bad the ring is on the axle i wasn't thinkin right .

nothing
Wednesday, May 11, 2005 4:48 PM
thanks for the info guys!

87GT.com

Sunday, May 15, 2005 8:46 AM
except the back.... then it matters...boya

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/828063
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search