Starter option info - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Starter option info
Saturday, May 14, 2005 5:20 AM
Several months ago, James Cahill mentioned to me that the gear reduction type starter used with the 99+ 2.2 should bolt up to the older 2.2 engine. Last weekend, my starter didn't... which left me pushing my 93 2.2 backward in a busy intersection to get enough speed to pop start it. And it left me cursing Charles Kettering, GM, and anyone who was ever associated with the 50 year old starter design

Tired of changing starters every 3 - 4 years, and knowing the great reliability of the gear reduction starters on the v8 trucks in the fleet where I work, I obtained a starter from a 99 Cavalier 2.2 from a local wrecking yard for $35.00.

This starter is much, much lighter than the old starter. The stud which connects the battery cable is 8mm instead of 10, but the cable will fasten with no modifications needed. And due to the starter's smaller overall size, the rear starter support can be discarded. Additionally, there's a bunch of room between the turbo and starter.

I really wish I'd known about this starter before I made the manifold. Exhaust routing and fan mounting would have been a whole lot easier.

As a side bonus, I just loooove the sound of this thing cranking now. Maybe it's silly, but it doesn't sound anything like a 2.2 under the hood when I'm starting it.

Thanks, James!

-->Slow

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search