Sunbird DIS to distributor, is it possible??? - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Sunbird DIS to distributor, is it possible???
Friday, May 13, 2005 5:41 PM
Hey guys, I know that this might seem like a step backwards, but it is something that I have been thinking about recently. My 94 sunbird has DIS hence the large ignition module under the intake. What I would like to do is not use the DIS module, but instead use a factory distributor from a 91 or earlier 2.0L OHC and run it in my cam carrier. This way, I can use a aftermaket coil and ignition box (I would run a 6AL and Blaster coil) and have a hookup for a tachometer, rev limiter, and have the abiltiy to change my ignition timing. My question is this. What triggers the ignition on a distributor car? The MSD box has a harness that plugs into a magnetic pickup on an MSD distributor. If I can modify the wiring coming out of the sunbird distributor to accept this wire, hookup should be very easy. What do you think? Am I missing anything? Thanks in advance, Paul Moore

Trying to become the most modded out N/A 2nd gen sunbird 4 cylinder on the org with a..... screw that, I'm going turbo!!!

2.Slow OHC I4
Ported cylinder head, intake and exhaust
Relocated IAT with a custom WAI with a 6x9 K&N conical filter
All this, and I still can't go fast.............yet!!

Re: Sunbird DIS to distributor, is it possible???
Friday, May 13, 2005 6:20 PM
you could do all this work, rewire the car, step back tbi injection, ect, or you could get the msd dis 2 box and coil plates and msd coils. you can use this to tweak the itming, rev limiter, is has a 2 step, ect.

Saturday, May 14, 2005 5:07 AM
Another option would be to adjust the "reference angle" and "spark limits" in the chip. The DIS system produces pulses which are 60 deg BTDC, the distributor pulses are between 75 and 90 deg BTDC. I can help you go the other way, converting the turbo Sunbird ecm to use with DIS, but I don't know where the locations are in the mpfi chip to convert to dizzy from DIS.

The DIS signals to and from the ecm are the same as distributor signals. Any ignition controller which can modify the signal from the ecm to the distributor should be able to modify the signal for the DIS car.

What about coil on plug, like the E-dist?

-->Slow
Sunday, May 15, 2005 8:49 AM
whack

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/828063
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search