need help with electronics - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
need help with electronics
Thursday, May 19, 2005 1:28 AM
i got a 91rs with a 2.2 it started acting like it was running out of gas.a couple days later it started backfiring out the throttlebody and exhaust. the fan doesnt kick on anymore. now it still does all that plus when you shut the key off the car still runs and all the gauges are on for about 4-5 sec before they shut off. all electronics in car are freakin out(except radio ran by itself) the only time the engine acts up(backfiring is when it gets to normal operating temp range. it was overloading so bad my oil was about a qt high(it was gas in my oil)

anybody have any ideas please help my next guess is the computer

Re: need help with electronics
Thursday, May 19, 2005 6:02 AM
i don't know bout the backfiring but the electric problem is the ground wire

Friday, May 20, 2005 1:37 AM
would it be a ground inside the car or under the hood.and what would it connect to
Friday, May 20, 2005 6:49 AM
Hi Dane

have you tried a Volt meter across the battery terminals to see if you are charging properly.
It should read 14.5 volts or thereabouts if it is OK

Alont
Wednesday, May 25, 2005 7:51 PM
the running after you shut off the car sounds like you could have a leaky fuel injector (if it runs rough). Backfiring could be a number of things such as sticking or leaking valves, broken or worn valve train parts or EGR (exhaust gas reirculation) being open all the time. chances are if it's a problem that developed over time it won't be ignition, engine or valve timing. That sounds like a series of problems though and when you encounter that many at one time it usually links to the ECM so that'd be a relatively good guess but i can't guarantee you'd be right.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search