Quick: proper caulking to fix wheel well seam? - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Quick: proper caulking to fix wheel well seam?
Saturday, May 14, 2005 11:35 AM
ok the wheel well weld in the back of my 94sunbird le is leaking pretty good what should i use to seal? silicone or polyurethane or something else?? please lemme know ASAP. Need to fix it today!

wicked

Re: Quick: proper caulking to fix wheel well seam?
Saturday, May 14, 2005 11:43 AM
I'd imagine between the two, polyurethane would be good to use.

Originality and Creativity surpasses Popularity

Saturday, May 14, 2005 11:46 AM
i disagree silicone should work better.

-Borsty
Saturday, May 14, 2005 12:02 PM
make any suggestion anything that you think would work, more info im looking to permanently fix this ie something that wont just fill the hole but will also recreate those welds that seem to have rusted or separated(not sure since the metal makes it impossible to see)

wicked
Saturday, May 14, 2005 1:18 PM
You said caulk.......

uhhhhhhhuhuhuhuhuhuuh.............

caulk..............

Saturday, May 14, 2005 1:44 PM
..... *isnt going to give the above poster the generosity of an insult*

ok fixed it, used poly, ill see how it holds up to high water pressure tomorrow.

wicked

oh and they werent rusted the welds did but the wheel wells were fine, the welds just separated from the look of it after i cleaned it
Saturday, May 14, 2005 2:34 PM
if not, liquid nails maybe?
bondo, fiberglass, peanut butter?

Sunday, May 15, 2005 1:04 AM
wicked dudeman wrote:..... *isnt going to give the above poster the generosity of an insult*

ok fixed it, used poly, ill see how it holds up to high water pressure tomorrow.

wicked

oh and they werent rusted the welds did but the wheel wells were fine, the welds just separated from the look of it after i cleaned it

Eye wub you!!!!

Sunday, May 15, 2005 3:30 PM
haha. peanut butter!

i suggest fiberglassing it...

Sunday, May 15, 2005 4:43 PM
fiberglass would have had no way to stick to it that i know of. bondo might work, didnt get a chance to work on it today, but i hopefully will this week as well as get my false floor started now that i hopefully got the leaks all fixed.

wicked
Sunday, May 15, 2005 5:16 PM
bondo will need a way to grasp ahold just same as the fiberglass... drill a few-to-several pinholes around the area and that'll give the bondo a place to fill into. it's not the best in quality nor the most effective but it is cheap, quick and somewhat long lasting (given a little kid doesnt' come along and kick the eff outta the EXACT spot you decided to bondollio)

sand and smooth as needed.

Sunday, May 15, 2005 5:48 PM
If you are looking for the original seam sealer material used in our cars you can buy it from GM still comes in a box as a kit. Good to seal up raw metal and welded surfaces prior to painting.

Thursday, May 19, 2005 6:08 AM
alit of @!#$ jb weld

Saturday, May 21, 2005 9:04 AM
Quote:

If you are looking for the original seam sealer material used in our cars you can buy it from GM still comes in a box as a kit.

You can buy "seam sealer" from any body shop supply place and from some automotive stores. 3M, au-vee-co, and others make it. If the metal can be cleaned bare, you could actually use 2 part panel adhesive to seal and provide strength. Similar adhesives are being used today to hold vehicles together.

I think silicone sealer tends to peel with time. I've worked at camper and RV places, and I currently work for a bus company. Any time we use silicone, seems like we're re-sealing the joint within a year or so. Plus, paint and undercoat don't like to stick to silicone. I'd choose poly, too.

maybe this will be good for future reference

-->Slow
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search