car won't start sunbird turbo - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
car won't start sunbird turbo
Wednesday, May 25, 2005 7:39 PM
my luck with this car is terrible either that or im a complete idiot but probably alittle of the first and a lot of the second. Anyways i put in a 2.0 turbo engine into a 93 4 door sunbird last spring and yeah it hasn't budged since that time, around 500 days ago. The problem is, when i go to start it there is no service engine soon light on nor do the RPMs move at all during cranking. it says in the service manual it could be open ignition feed?? now i poke through this manual everytime i go out there, check this code put a test light to CLK 419 or whatever and it's really quirte irritating. if anyone knows what that an open ignition feed means it'd be great to tell me. i got the brake and headlights to work for the first time a couple days ago so now i just need, well the engine to work. just imagine looking at your sunbird turbo for 500 days and never being able to drive it. it almost kinda makes me wish i would have left it a 2.0 non turbo automatic but then it'd probably be crushed by now.

Re: car won't start sunbird turbo
Wednesday, May 25, 2005 8:17 PM
"open ignition feed" is engineer speak for "there's no #@$ power when the key's on!"

The tachometer on the dash should be connected to the ignition module, but it may not receive power when the key is turned to "crank."

Did you swap the turbo sunbird computer into your car? Did you also use the wiring harness from the turbo car?

-->Slow
Thursday, May 26, 2005 6:25 AM
slowolej wrote:
Did you swap the turbo sunbird computer into your car? Did you also use the wiring harness from the turbo car?

cause if you didn't, that'd be a pretty major problem and indication of what is wrong. where in some cases you can use the old computer and reprogram it but if you want an all out smooth working engine it's best to use the computer that was intended for the very engine you're swapping in. this way your car knows what's in it.

Originality and Creativity surpasses Popularity

Thursday, May 26, 2005 11:36 AM
OK, I'll ttell you what i did. First i spent all day at a junkyard to take out the dash wiring from an 88 sunbird cinveritble GT. Seeing as something was wrong where the brake lights nor headlights didn't work, i traced some wires to a purple and green one (this was months ago so i may be wrong) then put them unto that little box that hooks up on the driver's side of the steering column with 3 notches, this was done after shorting out a couple fuses by touching the bare wire unto a ground. I vaguely remember a few times i got one bright to work but that was it... Now then last week i took a 5 hour round trip to a junjkyard to take the wiring out of a 88 sunbird turbo coupe, unfortunately the connectors right behind the fuse to the front harness (headlights etc.) of the car the 2 bolts that were on the fire wall were relaly rusty and didn't go anywhere. SO what this lead to was me roughing it up for a while and eventually it came out. THen what i had to do was record each wire to where it was in tine connector piece, take evryone out then put it into the connector piece ffom the 88 sunbird turbo convertible wiring. Before you jump to the conclusion that is the problem note... the RPMs and SES light weren't indicating when i attempted to start it with the old dash wiring too. However after putting in the 88 sunbird turbo coupe dash wiring the brake lights and headlights worked like a charm. Howver, when i used the turn signals, the gauges would move with it too which is probably a sign that a ground somewhere isn't hooked up right which i plan to look into any minute here. Yes it does have a sunbird turbo computer, in fact it has 2 of them one from an automatic and one from the 5 spd(conv, coup) seeing as they had the same numbers i figured they could be interhcnagebale and i got the one from the conv for dirt cheap. Although when i encountered problems last fall starting it i decided to buy the 5 spd for an ecstatic amount (50-70 bucks after shipping). Last fall it would start, but the engine would idle around 3000 RPM and it would blow out a good amount of smoke so i decided to change the head gasket,exhaust manifold gasket, and have the cylinder head cleaned up. While doing this I observed that a sensor plugged in righ tbelow the ignition coil was not in fact plugged in so wheni went to put back on the cylinder head i made quite sure it was plugged in. Also by visiting the junkyard 140 miles away recently i observed what the engine compartment was supposed to look like and found i had a vacum line that wasn't hook up to the throttel body that should have been so i also remedied that. Other than that everything was hooked up very similar to that of the junked car. basically the car is excatly like every other sunbird turbo on this forum except it doesn't start.
Thursday, May 26, 2005 7:29 PM
I'm not trying to be a jerk, I just want to make sure about this. The computer wiring is on the passenger side of the car. If you only took out the wires on the driver's side, the ones behind the fuse box, then you don't have the computer wiring.

Do you have wiring diagrams for the turbo car and for your car when it was stock? These might help.

-->Slow
Friday, May 27, 2005 2:17 PM
when i bought the engine and transmission there was wiring on it and it didn't bolt to mycar's body so im guessing it was from the same engine and tranmission (My car is a 93 engine is an 88 or 89). Now since i bought it from some prick who insisted he was sending me a missing MAP sensor, ECU, and an axle to replace the broken one but never did it wouldn't come as an immediate shock that he would put 2.0 non turbo wiring on a 2.0 turbo wiring if in fact it would all hook up. I don't know about computer similiarities between turbo and non turbo but the wiring plugs right into both computers i've had. It really wouldn't surprise me if that seller (who belongs to this forum) did put non turbo wiring on the car. The only thing i can think off of hand that would be different woujl dbe MAP sensor plug in but when i bought a MAP sensor it was the one for MPI and if i recall correctly it would fit vin M and K.

Through all this nonsense i'm just wondering, do the non turbo computer and turbo computers have the same exact plug ins??
Friday, May 27, 2005 8:29 PM
The MAP sensor for the turbo car is different. It's a "2 bar" sensor, which can read boost. If a regular sensor is plugged in, the tecm will think the car is under boost when it's not.

The connections (pinouts) for the ecm wires aren't the same for MPFI and 1227749. Do you have a yellow plug and 2 black ones to plug into the ecm?

-->Slow
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search