quick brake advise please - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
quick brake advise please
Monday, May 16, 2005 8:27 PM
hey guys, I have a 91 cavalier 2.2l with a 5-speed and I'm having a problem with the brakes, actually just the rear brakes. I can rebuild disk brakes with my eyes closed but never wanted to mess with drums so when one of the wheel cylinders blew and I lost all my brakes I took it to a shop. that was 10 months ago, now every time I slow down I hear a very loud howling noise, but I mean really loud I can hear it over my radio, and at slow speeds the rear brakes lock up. I tried adjusting them and it helps for a few min then they start howling again, its like the noise you hear when a semi-truck stops, but much louder. my e-brake is almost none existent also. everything was replaced when I had the brake job so what is happening and is it easy to fix? thanks

ps. I tried the whole slamming on your brakes thing in reverse and it helps for about a min.

Re: quick brake advise please
Wednesday, May 25, 2005 12:39 PM
so I brought my car into the mechanic today and he told me that the problem I'm having is the rear brake cables are rusted and not allowing the shoes to move properly. sound reasonable? and how hard are they to change?
Wednesday, May 25, 2005 8:29 PM
adjust and lubricate your brakes and you'll be fine...there are six raised points behind the shoes...remove rust with a wire brush and use a suitible brake lube on the spots and put back together and adjust properly

Wednesday, May 25, 2005 11:39 PM
please excuse my stupidity, but how do you take the shoes off to get to these points?
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search