my wonderful night*PIX* - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
my wonderful night*PIX*
Saturday, May 28, 2005 10:53 PM
sorry for the rant but it was jsut a frustratin night and i nailed my head off the car so many times walkin under it,so i need to vent lol

well today i decided to drop my dranny and put in my replacement 1 as i want it in for the bash,so i get to the shop and since i lowered my car i cant get on the hoist anymore :rant: i had to jack up every corner and slide the feet under,so i get her up in hte air and start takin @!#$ apart and everyhting was going good,i got the tranny out no problem and i carry it over to the newer tranny to compare,well first thing i noticed was my new tranny was a electic speedometer where my old 1 is a cable driven one,so i start thinkin of something i can do and i came up wiht nothing except trying to cahnge bellhousing but then i would have to change some of the internals over and i didnt wanna do that,so i decide to put the newer tranny in and deal with the speedometer problem later.look at the tranny and theres a @!#$in bellhousing bolt snapped off in it :rant: so i had to drill that out and retap it and find a bigger bolt to fit it and it was kinda hard to tap cause a little chunk of the tranny was missing form when the bolt broke so the tapping tool didnt wanna go in to straight. after struggling with the damn tranny for awhile i finally got it bolted back in and got it all assembled and runs great and shifts smooth
and onto some pics now,heres a pic of gettin her in the air and removing some of the parts taht have to come out thru the hood

crossover,K-member,dog bone mount and axel out

both trannys side byside

my centerforce dual friction clutch,orange paint is peeled off from teh tranny rubbin as it was coming down or goin in

just a pic

mmmmmmmmmm metalic tranny fluid lol

newer tranny with the chunk missing and half a bolt stuck in it

jsut a pic

and now for some more typing lol,does anyone know how i can get the electric speedo hooked up?and after filling the tranny with syncromesh i noticed a leak,look under and teh damn half shaft seal is bad i think,anyone know how much those are new?i was pissed as all i saw was $10 a liter draining out of my tranny lol ohh ya and my check engine light comes on but i believe taht is becuase the speedo isnt hooked up

Re: my wonderful night*PIX*
Sunday, May 29, 2005 12:04 AM
the speedo thing- all the speedos pre 93 were gear driven. (93-94 they went to the electronic pickup and internal slave). take the cable/electric speedo from your old trans and put it into the new trans and it will work fine. its a 10 minute job.

Sunday, May 29, 2005 5:46 AM
I know all about the speedo issue! The computer on your car was also designed to work with a digital dash which means it DOES have electric VSS inputs. Unfortunately, since your car did not come with a digital dash, it should not have wires connected to them. But, if you reaaally want to use it then here is what you should do.

1. Install a 92+ dash and interior

1. Go to the junkyard and find a car that uses your exact same computer. It could be any car just as long as it uses the same computer and has a vss. Try a 1990 or 91 corsica or beretta I believe or any one that had a v6 with a digital dash.

2. Find out what color their electric vss wires are and trace them back to the computer and remember what color they are.

3. Mark their spot in the plug and instal the vss wires in the same place on yours.

You now have a working electric speedometer! Unfortunarely, it reads about 2/3 the speed and miles that you are actually going.
Sunday, May 29, 2005 7:03 AM
sharkey wrote:the speedo thing- all the speedos pre 93 were gear driven. (93-94 they went to the electronic pickup and internal slave). take the cable/electric speedo from your old trans and put it into the new trans and it will work fine. its a 10 minute job.

so all i have to do is take out the electronic senser and put my old 1 in?i looked inside the tranny and the gear thats right beside the sensor are different between the 2

Sunday, May 29, 2005 11:23 AM
they should be the same. i see your car is a 90, what year and car is the transmission you put in from??? i swapped from an 86 4 speed to a 90 5 speed, and they were the same.

Sunday, May 29, 2005 12:10 PM
you change the gearing too or you may find your speeding.... when swapping from digi sender or pre 92 to a 92+ the sensor is diff and will cause it to read slow, so when swapping a 92+ tranny into an older car the speedo will be way off, approx 5km/h = 50km/h

1st 1st gen on air.....
Sunday, May 29, 2005 2:50 PM
92 is the exact same speedo style, ther are the same till the end of 92. in 93, they went to the hall effect pickup speedo. the speedo wouldnt even do anything if you pluggged it in (93+ trans in a 92 prior car). i know his trans isnt a 93+ cause 93+ is internal slave.

the speedo should just go right in from the old trans to the new one. your car has a cable and wire (the wire is for the ecm) and im guessing your trans is from a 90-92 (judging on the slave). just swap the speedo over and it should work fine. you may need to swap the speedo gears between the 2 sensors (use the gear that came out of the trans that is in the car now, if the gear is different).

how do you like the centerforce clutch??? if that the stage 1 or dual friction???

Sunday, May 29, 2005 5:09 PM
why not just pick up a dakota digital speedo and get the adapter for the car, and forget the rest? i guess it wouldn't be origional, but when i get that far, i'm going to cut the back out of the Panel and redo everything into a totally different dash.... thats just my idea

"I live my life a quarter mile at a time..." "for those ten seconds or less I'm free"
Sunday, May 29, 2005 5:14 PM
the tranny is from a 90 5 psd tempest so i dont know if it will still work,do i have to open up the tranny to change the gearing for the sensor?cause the new and old sensor look nothjing alike

Sunday, May 29, 2005 5:41 PM
sounds like it dude, good luck!

"I live my life a quarter mile at a time..." "for those ten seconds or less I'm free"
Sunday, May 29, 2005 6:29 PM
ohh and its a dual friction clutch,im happy with it as it grabs pretty hard and ive had no problems with it yet but someone people ahve a,ot of bad things to say about it so i dont know

Monday, May 30, 2005 1:33 PM
eh who cares what other people say, if it works for ou use it, people need to get their heads out of their @$$es and realize not everyone is going to do what they think is right, or wrong... arg for that lol, aren't most dual friction from factory though? i'm pretty sure mine is

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search