2.2 block commonality - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2.2 block commonality
Friday, June 10, 2005 10:24 AM
My little sister drives an '89 grand am with a 2.2 in it. She let it overheat and now only has compression on one cylinder. The mechanic is urging her to get replace the engine with a used one.

I've got an '87 Cavalier with a 2.0 engine that ~looks~ to be the same block. I rebuilt that engine 14k miles ago but no one drives that car cause it's got some pretty serious wiring problems.

Would the '87 2.0 replace the '89 2.2?

thanks,

Re: 2.2 block commonality
Friday, June 10, 2005 12:01 PM
Sorry man, an 89 Grand Am only came with these engines:
2.3 Quad 4
2.0 OHC Turbo
2.5 Iron Duke

None of them interchange with your 2.0.

Re: 2.2 block commonality
Saturday, June 11, 2005 5:24 AM
I've never heard of a 2.2 grand am, maybe the previous owner put the motor in. But I dont see what they would put in a 2.2 with the same amount of work they could have put something better in, but you never know.
A quad 4 or 2.0 turbo look nothing like a 2.2, I'm not really to farmilliar with the 2.5 but it could have some similarities.
What does the valve cover look like on the motor in the grand am and whats the 8th digit of the vin say?
The valve cover should be the same as the one on the cavy if the motor is a 2.2, if not its probobly the 2.5 and the throttle body cover will have a sticker on it that says TECH 4 or something like that, its a big red and white sticker you cant miss it (unless its gone now, lol) If the 8th VIN digit is M the motor should be a 2.0 turbo, and those are pretty rare and look nothing like a 2.2. If its A or D its a 2.3 quad 4, theres two diffrent versions of the quad 4, "A" being the better one cause its the HO version. And if its U, which I'm pretty sure it is, you have the 2.5 iron duke which is not interchangeable.
Also just for another quick little fact, the 2.0 turbo that came in the grand am is nothing like your 2.0 in your cavy, there is no similarities at all everything is diffrent, the turbo motor is OHC and your 2.0 is OHV. Just thought I'd let you know before you go thinking there was a turbo version of the 2.0 OHV, lol.
You probobly could put the 2.0 OHV in there though and I'm sure it will fit but wiring might become an issue.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search