belt smoking - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
belt smoking
Sunday, June 12, 2005 11:29 AM
I have a 94 cavalier. The belt was squealing so I replaced it with a new one and now when you first start it up it squeals real bad and smokes. It stops doing this after a minute or 2. Could this just be the new belt breaking in?

My second question is about the tensioner. When I took the belt off I pushed the wrench toward the right to get it lose. The tensioner moved forward about an inch and just stayed there. After putting the new belt on I moved the tensioner towards the left and it popped back in place. Does this seem right. I'm thinking maybe the tensioner is bad. I replaced once before but it's probally been ~60k miles ago.

Third question does anybody make a tensioner that doesn't have to be replaced so often? If not there sure is something lacking in the design of this part.

Re: belt smoking
Sunday, June 12, 2005 3:28 PM
the belt should not smoke. Spin the alternator, ac compressor, water pump, and power steering pump by hand. Sounds like you have something locked up. Everything should turn relatively easy by hand... with the belt off of course.

Monday, June 13, 2005 9:27 AM
pezed wrote:the belt should not smoke. Spin the alternator, ac compressor, water pump, and power steering pump by hand. Sounds like you have something locked up. Everything should turn relatively easy by hand... with the belt off of course.

The belt only smokes and squeals for about a minute or so. I'm pretty sure it's the tensioner I just want somebody who knows to verify that thought.

But thanks for the idea
Monday, June 13, 2005 10:13 AM
Pezed, is right about this, you most likely have a frozen pully. Even it the belt was way to tight, it shouldn't smoke. Also the tensioner should spring back by itself. It sounds like it needs replaced.

Monday, June 13, 2005 9:16 PM
Weebel wrote:Pezed, is right about this, you most likely have a frozen pully. Even it the belt was way to tight, it shouldn't smoke. Also the tensioner should spring back by itself. It sounds like it needs replaced.

I't only smokes squeals for a minute or so and then it no longer does it. The belt is a little too loose.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search