Hybrid - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Hybrid
Tuesday, June 21, 2005 10:25 AM
well as some of u know i got my spare 3.1 from Pat acouple months ago and all i needed from it was the block(rest for sale) pictured her

and the last couple days ive begun gathering my 3400 parts 8) and heres what i have so far

-3400 LIM
-3400 UIM(3400 SFI being grinded off and polished)
-3400 Tb
-3X00 Fuel Rail
-3X00 Fuel Pressure Regulator
-3X00 Throttle Cable Bracket
-3X00 Exhaust Manifolds and Crossover pipe(the better flowing ones)
-3400 Front Valve Cover
and a couple little odds and ends,the motor looks like it was brand new,heres a pic of the inside of the valve cover and the underside of the LIM

know i have a question lol i cant seem to get the back valve cover off cause the support frame from the alternator is in hte way i took the alt. off and took the 3 bolts out of the bracket but it doesnt seem like it wants to budge,am i missin something hear?

and i must say these parts where a BITCH to get off lol it was in a front end collision and the rad support frame was pretty much right beside the front valve cover so as i was pryin at the support fram i slipped and went flying back about 10' into a trunk of a buick and hurt my back :lol: should be fun to get the exhaust manifolds off and the the front head

ohh and chris sorry to say but i dont think i need thsoe 3400 parts from u anymore except for the timing chain cover,sorry for tellin u i wanted them but i got these for free so i definitly grabbed them when i had the chance

FDP 62MM TB, FFP Performance Chip, FFP Underdrive Pully, WAI, Hi Flow Cat, 2.5" Catback, Functional Ram Air Hood, Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch

Re: Hybrid
Tuesday, June 21, 2005 11:47 AM
also grabbed the bracket to mount teh ign. coils

FDP 62MM TB, FFP Performance Chip, FFP Underdrive Pully, WAI, Hi Flow Cat, 2.5" Catback, Functional Ram Air Hood, Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch
Tuesday, June 21, 2005 7:08 PM
Thems some very clean engine parts! But why sand off the 3400? If I had a nice big engine like that, I'd broadcast it to the world Leave the 3400 SFI on it, put some megaphones in the engine bay, etc...

Tuesday, June 21, 2005 7:52 PM
I'm excited to see a hybrid going! I think it'd be cool to grind that off but I'd wear the badge as well. either way for me. chrome it out.

Originality and Creativity surpasses Popularity

Tuesday, June 21, 2005 8:12 PM
screw the badges...

i've been wanting to do a hybrid v6 or a supercharged 2.4... so as soon as i find a shell, i'll be right with ya if it's a 2g. idk if you are wanting to, but imma wanna boost mine

Tuesday, June 21, 2005 8:50 PM
89Sunbird wrote:Thems some very clean engine parts! But why sand off the 3400? If I had a nice big engine like that, I'd broadcast it to the world Leave the 3400 SFI on it, put some megaphones in the engine bay, etc...

see id rather have people be like WTF is under the hood and be clueless when they see it lol i might grab anotehr 3400 plenum to swap around here and there...also i ahve plans for forced induction down the road

Wednesday, June 22, 2005 6:31 AM
no, leave them guessing, if you grab a upper plenum from a venture minivan it dosent have any numbers on it.
also, your going to need a water pump.
---- if your rebuliding it be shure to get a crank out of a 3.1 mini van. ( 3.1\3.4 same stroke) its forged form the factory.

ive got a list form colin of every thing you need, if you what me to send it to you.

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged
13.7 @102.45 MPH Third Place, 2007 GMSC Bash SOLD AS OF 01MAR08

Thursday, June 23, 2005 1:56 PM
if u wanna send me the list that be great! mhecimovic@hotmail.com or post it up here,as for teh crank im gonna be gettin a GM performance cam or a regrind from JBP with around the same specs as the H-272

well i went back to the yard today,and heres the car that i got most of my parts from and u can see how badly it was rammed in and made it such a bitch to remove stuff lol

and teh heads aswell as a newer front manifold and crossover pipe,i would of grabbed the rear manifold but i couldnt get the downpipe bolts off

is there anything i can use to clean up those valves or am i gonna have to buy new ones?and im a idiot and left the back valve cover and power steering pump sittin on the floor :banghead: hop[efully there still htere when i get back

Thursday, June 23, 2005 2:22 PM
i count 4 burnt valves...

replace them... there done for... buy some oversized valves, and matching springs and retainers... then go get a port and polish done... it'll be worth the money.

Friday, June 24, 2005 4:49 PM
well me and the GF got bored and decided to bolt everything up :lol:

Lynzee lending a hand

and i cleaned up the heads abit

also i need some opinions,i painted my valve cover and LIM the same color as my rims,do u guys think i should apint everyhting that color or switch it up with hte black that i ahve on the exhaust manifolds?

Tuesday, June 28, 2005 2:05 PM
well i went back to the junkyard and grabbed the back valve cover,spare fuel rail with injectors,tension pully,the bracket taht botls to the heads to lift the motor up, aswell as the head gaskets that wehre on it...not that i can use em though lol i wanted the PS pump aswell but all i had on me was a adjsutable wrench and it wouldnt fit,anyone know the proper size to remove the 1 line?

and i got off the rest of teh 3400 SFI that was on the UIM but damn its gonna take some work to get it all polished up and looking good..im kinda regretting it now lol

Tuesday, June 28, 2005 2:42 PM
its not a toy now...lol

Thursday, June 30, 2005 10:42 PM
your going to need the timing chain cover for the p/s pump to work

cavaliers been laid to rest
The saturn is being born
a new cavalier is in the mist
Friday, July 01, 2005 3:35 AM
be carefull when you get to your cam asmbly. your rockers, push rods and lifter for the 2 motors are difrent. youll have to set lash like a small block chev... runing. ( gets a little messy.)

beshure to get a nice bump stick too.

chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged

Friday, July 01, 2005 12:45 PM
nobody sets the lash with the motor running, there is a very simple way to set it up.

do each cylender individualy. turn the motor till the exaust valve is just starting to open (the lifter is just comming up) and set the intake valve. spin the pushrod with your fingers and tighten the rocker down till it starts to get stiff, then give the rocker 1/2 turn more to set the proper preload. to set the exaust, turn the motor till the intake valve is just starting to close, and repeat the above steps.

Saturday, July 02, 2005 3:47 AM
ya, your right, i pulled that out of my a$$... but what ever i never bulit a 3x00 hybread before.

chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged

Saturday, July 16, 2005 3:54 PM
well i finally picked up a engine stand today for $30 so i can start gettin more into the build

and i got some help from the little guy 8) lol

and yes i know...this is a HUGE update lol ohh and i also got my PS pump

Wednesday, July 20, 2005 6:28 PM
well i got teh stand over to my dads and got it bolted up...wasnt fun wiht out a engien hoist there lol anyways i couldnt get much done cause i need to find a 12 point 133mm Socket for the damn connecting rods pictured below

Wednesday, July 20, 2005 7:05 PM
Man I sooo wish I could afford a 3400 to drop in my car...I love em more every time I see em! Let alone hear, feel them...

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search