Dented Fenders and Women Drivers - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Dented Fenders and Women Drivers
Monday, June 27, 2005 11:12 AM
First of all...no offense to women drivers.....It just happend to be a girl that hit me and it was because she was being stupid. Thought it sounded funny.

Well, I need to replace my front driver side quarter panel, and was wondering how difficult they are to remove/replace. Also if you can drive the car without it incase they turn out to be a pain. I'm thinking of installing FX designs fenders since I have to fork out the money for a new one anyway. Thinking of putting one of there hoods on there too. It will ad a little flair without being obnoxious. Then I wan't to have all the minor bodywork done and have it painted yellow. I wan't to install all the panels myslef, and the only problem I'm foreseeing it the quarter panels. Wan't to know if there just bolt on/off or not.

Re: Dented Fenders and Women Drivers
Monday, June 27, 2005 11:39 AM
fenders are fairly easy to work with. remove all the bolts and they come off easy. replacing is a little more time consuming but once you get the gap between te door and fender just right, bolt back on in place and you're good to rock n roll.

good decision on just replacing with aftermarket.

my only incident was from a young girl as well. backed into my side molding at a gas station then she sped off cause she was obviously like 15 or 16 yrs old. I popped the molding off anyway.

Originality and Creativity surpasses Popularity

Monday, June 27, 2005 11:45 AM
Are you refering (sp?) to your rear fenders as well as the front ones? It kinda sounds like you said you got hit in the part between the drivers door and the rear wheel. If so that part does'nt unbolt, its like the roof, its part of the car, you have to pop it back out and fix it, cause you cant just pop dents back out cause most of the time the metal streches when it dents and you'll never be able to just pop it back into shape, it'll take some body work to fix. Also dont waste your time pulling apart the interior to get at the back of the panel cause you cant, theres an extra layer of metal there so you cant get to the outside panel.

Monday, June 27, 2005 12:30 PM
The front fenders are simple to change, there are just a couple of 10mm bolts holding it on to the car and two 10mm bolts holding the headlight to the fender. I'm pretty sure the FX fenders don't supply a place to mount the headlight so you'll have to come up with some other kind of bracket there.

Monday, June 27, 2005 12:36 PM
Also keep in mind that under some bols there may be 'shims' to properly space the fender. Keep together those shims and remember where they came from. It'll help you line up the new fender when you get it.
Monday, June 27, 2005 1:15 PM
But you may need more or less with your new fenders...i got the same amount of shims on either side in as before, and the driver side sticks out a good bit...

Monday, June 27, 2005 1:49 PM
Ya there the front fenders...Left one is the only one dented. I'll probably just have minor bodywork done to driver door. I wan't to stray away from aftermarket bumpers, Iv'e heard horror storries. On the bright side, I've got my strut bar on order from GM for $45. It took me 5min for me to explain to the parts guy what I was lalking about though

And Also, assuming I have to go to the store for something....Can the car be drivin without the fenders.....they support anyting?

Tankx....I feel Better now.

Monday, June 27, 2005 5:52 PM
$45 is to much for a strut bar. I'd pay no more than $25 shipped for one.

http://cavalierman93.googlepages.com/

Monday, June 27, 2005 7:25 PM
Distant Reality wrote:$45 is to much for a strut bar. I'd pay no more than $25 shipped for one.

dealerships always overcharge.

Monday, June 27, 2005 7:41 PM
You can drive without fenders, but a cop might give you a fix it ticket...

Monday, June 27, 2005 7:54 PM
You can do whatever you want to your car as long as all the lights, signals, etc still work, atleats were I'm from.
You could even run around town without doors and they cant do anything, lol
actually I'm serious

Tuesday, June 28, 2005 11:01 AM
It would only be a shorts distance...maybee to work or hardware store (both about 8 blocks) The strut bar is a direct factory replacement for a 93 Sunbird SE Convertible, so I know it will fit...I had to lie about the model of my car to get it becuase hardtop sunbirds never came with them...I thought $45 was pretty good. We are talking about the same thing right? You know...the upper strut tower brace that hooks between the 2 strut tower mounts under the hood..Not sayng anyone is stupid...but GM didn't know what I was talking about so I thought I'de check....How much you guys paying for them, if you can even get aftermarket?

oh ya got my sig up again..

Tuesday, June 28, 2005 11:40 AM
sucktacular

Tuesday, June 28, 2005 8:54 PM
sounds like a strut tower brace to me? hmm

"I live my life a quarter mile at a time..." "for those ten seconds or less I'm free"
Wednesday, June 29, 2005 7:34 AM
well sometimes they're not as easy to come by in certain areas in like junkyards n stuff but I don't know what GM's actual listed price would be on one. and for them to not even know what you're talking about you shoulda looked at them when they said $45 and laughed just to see how low they'd go. they don't even know what they're selling how do they know what to charge? anyway, if anyone has a strut tower bar they wanna get rid of I'd consider taking it off their hands. 89sunbirdLE

tyrin, you can drive without doors here too. in fact, as long as you have a windwhield and a working seatbelt you're set.

Wednesday, June 29, 2005 9:25 AM
Try getting ahold of James Cahill for the strut bars. I think he posted a while back that he has some. Good guy to deal with too.

http://cavalierman93.googlepages.com/

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search