Speedometer issues. - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Speedometer issues.
Sunday, July 10, 2005 6:07 AM
I'm having problems with my speedo since I've installed my subs/amp. The needle bounces upward with the bass when I have the stereo going. Faster MPH=worse.

I'm trying to fiqure out if the vehical speed sensor it set up so a weaker signal means more MPH, if so it would make sense and I should be able to fix the problem, if it's the other way around...them....

I think thats the way it works I'm just not sure....when my dad shuts of his ignition when rolling down the road in his 3.1 sunbird (screwing off) the speedometer tops out until the computer realizes whats going on.

The speedo in that car seems to be the touchiest thing in the car...when my ALT when't out the speedo started freaking out way before anything else did.

Re: Speedometer issues.
Sunday, July 10, 2005 7:26 AM
sounds like a bad ground man

Sunday, July 10, 2005 8:29 AM
Bad ground?

Sunday, July 10, 2005 1:37 PM
Your car just accelerates so quickly driving past those ecotecs it broke the speedo.

Sunday, July 10, 2005 3:10 PM
Something by my drivers side door is shorting out, causing my battery to reset my head unit, it's pretty gay.
Sunday, July 10, 2005 3:20 PM
Oh christ not that again.....I think I got it fiqured out anyway......Even certified mechanics get every now and then.

Yes I really am a mechanic and probably know more about cars than you ever will PEZED.

Maybee when you become "fast enough" to hang with mostly stock 2.2's and some ECO's you won't hate so much.

I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything but dang...just let a dead dog lie dude.

Sunday, July 10, 2005 3:26 PM
Weebel wrote:Oh christ not that again.....I think I got it fiqured out anyway......Even certified mechanics get every now and then.

Yes I really am a mechanic and probably know more about cars than you ever will PEZED.

Maybee when you become "fast enough" to hang with mostly stock 2.2's and some ECO's you won't hate so much.

I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything but dang...just let a dead dog lie dude.

Yeah i know.. its embarrasing how badly those 2.0OHC N/A motors produce half the power of the 3.1 but they still pass me!

Sunday, July 10, 2005 3:52 PM
I'm not knocking 3.1's or anyone else at that matter....I just don't know why some people get all out of shape when they hear something they don't agree with.

The last thing I wan't to do is start a pissing contest here, I never bash people when they say something that I think isn't possible.

I've been proven worng so many times in my life that I'm willing to give just about anyone the benifate of a doubt. Even if I know someone is full of it I keep quiet about it, and don't act like an ass.

I'ts not like I was saying I outran you or anything, chill out man. It's all good.

Sunday, July 10, 2005 7:38 PM
The speedometer is frequency driven. The speed sensor signal goes to the ecm. The ecm counts speed sensor pulses and generates a signal for the speedometer (and cruise, if equipped). If the cruise is set and the speed changes when the bass is loud, you may have a problem in the electrical system. Look for poor grounds and / or noise on the speedometer related curcuits.

But the problem could be completely mechanical. If you tap the dash and the speedometer needle jumps while your driving, you've probably found the problem. I think you're on your own to fix that one.

-->Slow
Sunday, July 10, 2005 8:56 PM
Its not a bug, its a feature!! I think it'd be kinda cool for the needles to bounce to the music...good for shows

Monday, July 11, 2005 5:55 AM
Ya I was tinking the same thing 89sunbird, until I realized the audio quality is being effected, plus, it have to jack the front end up and put a rock on the gas pedal to let people see it a car show....

seriously though....

I don't have cruise, and I'm almost positive that's it's being caused by the battery running too low now that I've been thinking about it. I think I know how to fix it and will let ya know if i'm right this weekend.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search