cam decision? - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
cam decision?
Wednesday, July 06, 2005 11:03 AM
so im tryin to decide what cam ot run with my hybrid,is there a certain cam any one recommends?i think im looking more towards a mid-upper range power,i emailed JBP for a a regrind and they said they have better specs then the H-272 and some customers see 11 horses from the cam alone,only downsid eis i will ahve to invest in a set of lifters
JBP specs
I/E: 230*/236@.050:.489/.489:110(105/115)
anyone think it be a good choice?

FDP 62MM TB, FFP Performance Chip, FFP Underdrive Pully, WAI, Hi Flow Cat, 2.5" Catback, Functional Ram Air Hood, Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch

Re: cam decision?
Wednesday, July 06, 2005 12:15 PM
is your block a 3.1 or a 3x00? crain makes a nice .410 lift cam for the 2.8-3.4 motors, its like 150$

chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged
13.7 @102.45 MPH Third Place, 2007 GMSC Bash SOLD AS OF 01MAR08

Wednesday, July 06, 2005 3:51 PM
3.1 block

FDP 62MM TB, FFP Performance Chip, FFP Underdrive Pully, WAI, Hi Flow Cat, 2.5" Catback, Functional Ram Air Hood, Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch
Tuesday, July 12, 2005 12:46 PM
then the crain cam will wrork fine, but you have to use the compleat 3.1 valve train.

chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged

Tuesday, July 12, 2005 11:08 PM
no matter what cam you put in, you will need new lifters. you never EVER reuse flat tapet lifters.

do you have emmisions testing in your area??? if so, you may want to look to the comp cams 260h. its a real nice mid-top end cam. the 272 crane cam is a little overkill for the street.

Tuesday, July 12, 2005 11:49 PM
TaetschZ24 wrote:then the crain cam will wrork fine, but you have to use the compleat 3.1 valve train.

chris

He can still use the gen 3 roller rockers with the tappet cam. Might have to measure up some new pushrods though, im not sure.

Friday, July 15, 2005 3:36 AM
correct, the pushrod length is diffrent. thats why i said to use the 3.1 valve train.

chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged

Friday, July 15, 2005 4:30 AM
flat tappet cams are ground differently. They have a slight taper on the lobe (and on the lifters) to help keep the timing gear thrust surface against the front of the block and to cause the lifter to rotate as the cam turns. This taper isn't present on a roller cam. Using a roller lifter on a non-roller cam is similar to setting the camber on your front tires to an extreme angle then driving the car. The car will drive, but one side of the tire will experience excessive wear. The same is true for the lifter roller. It will work, but it will also wear faster than normal.

just an fyi.
-->Slow
Friday, July 15, 2005 6:12 AM
...... and all the crain cams are made for a 3.1

FYI

chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged

Friday, July 15, 2005 10:11 AM
'Sokay, my bad.

Pezed said
Quote:

He can still use the gen 3 roller rockers with the tappet cam
. I thought he said roller lifters.

Shoulda finished my coffee first.

-->Slow
Friday, July 15, 2005 11:22 AM
Yes you will need to get custom length pushrods, the 3.1 rods are just a tad too long.
Here is a good discussion on pushrod length when using the 3.1 block/cam along with Gen 3 (3100/3400) heads and roller rockers: (you'll have to register first if you havent')

http://www.domesticcrew.com/660board/viewtopic.php?t=7

stock 3.1 rod lengths for reference are:
exhuast: 6"
intake: 6.375"

Friday, July 15, 2005 11:28 AM
Oops i got those reversed, it should be
Intake: 6"
Exhaust: 6.375"

Wheres the edit button!!!!
Anyway, There is a guy in the process of a hybrid at the moment who is saying he is going to be able to use the stock 3.1 rods. I'm not sure if he's right or not. I suppose it could be possible with the right thickness of headgasket and if you don't mill the heads down at all. From what everyone else has measured up so far the stock rods are just too long.

Friday, July 15, 2005 3:47 PM
im on that site already and im gettin custom ones made...i think i know who ur referrin to about using the stock pushrods and well his motor is cooked but i dont know if that cuased it,hes in the process of building a new hybrid

Saturday, July 16, 2005 7:37 PM
Mike Hecimovic wrote:im on that site already and im gettin custom ones made...i think i know who ur referrin to about using the stock pushrods and well his motor is cooked but i dont know if that cuased it,hes in the process of building a new hybrid

Pushrods being a little too long shouldn't hurt the engine, unless you timed it wrong.
If they are too long the valves just wont shut and there wont be enough compression for it to run right. If it were out of time then the valves could hit the pistons and cause a mess, but that will happen even with the correct pushrods.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search