quarter window replacement - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
quarter window replacement
Saturday, July 23, 2005 5:39 PM
I have a 1990 cavalier that I just got with a busted out side window. I have a replacement but I'm not sure how go about installing it. Can somebody tell me how to do this?

Re: quarter window replacement
Saturday, July 23, 2005 6:48 PM
I believe that glass is retained with Butyl or Urethane. Basically it's either really hard rubber which gets even harder with time, or it's not as hard rubber which cures and gets hard within about 24 hrs. 'Zat help? Look for "windshield installation" on the 'net for more info.

The old glass needs to be cut out, the butyl / urethane needs to be removed (as much as possible, no loose flaps left) and the remaining urethane needs to be cleaned of dirt, oil, grease, or other contaminants. I use CRC Brakeclean in the green can for this. The acetone does a wonderful job cleaning. The replacement glass needs to be cleaned of any old urethane, again as clean as possible with no loose flaps. And it needs to be wiped with brakeclean or another good solvent based, fast drying cleaner. I use urethane for the installation. If it's new glass you'll need glass primer to apply to the glass first. Lay down the urethane on the body of the car, using a good caulking gun and making sure to leave a large bead that's consistent in thickness. Pick up the glass making sure not to touch any of the areas where the urethane will stick, then lay it in the urethane bead. Press carefully around the edges of the glass, applying steady but moderate pressure and working in a circular pattern. Look for urethane to work its way out from under the glass to indicate the thickness of the bead is ok. Once the glass is installed, don't slam the car doors with the windows up for at least overnight.

Or you can call a glass shop and let them deal with the hassle.

-->Slow
Sunday, July 24, 2005 9:44 AM
Just get some 3m window weld and follow the directions on the back of the tube. On that quarter window you don't glue to the glass you actually glue the frame around it.

Sunday, July 24, 2005 1:01 PM
The glass I have already has the trim on it. It looks like it just pops out. There might be some glue holding it in once it's in place but there is none on the new/used piece. So does it just pop out?
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search