Cam change 2.0 ohc? - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Cam change 2.0 ohc?
Tuesday, March 27, 2007 6:20 PM
Does anyone know where to get the special tool which allows a cam change on the 2.0 ohc without taking the head bolts loose? Or better yet has anyone successfully done a cam change with the head still bolted down on one of these?

Re: Cam change 2.0 ohc?
Tuesday, March 27, 2007 7:19 PM
Scotty Bishop wrote:Does anyone know where to get the special tool which allows a cam change on the 2.0 ohc without taking the head bolts loose? Or better yet has anyone successfully done a cam change with the head still bolted down on one of these?

i'd like to know as well, i just asked this question on another forum the other day, i also wanna know is do i need the lash caps and lifters from the car im taking the cam from or can i just keep the ones that are in the car??
Tuesday, March 27, 2007 8:53 PM
i didnt know it was possible, you have to remove the carrier you cant just slide the cam out of it when its still on the head cause its compressing valves and wont slide out. IMO and this being just my opinion as long as you dont break the seal from head to block you should be ok and not need a new headgasket, but thats kind of taking the cheap way out and i cant really recomend it cause it may not stay sealed, I'm pretty confident you would be ok but I'm not going to say yes and have you do it and not work out, really tho a headgasket cant be worth that much anyways, i forget what mine came to, but i got the hole kit cause i re did the hole top half the motor all at once (replaced worn cam and cracked head)

Wednesday, March 28, 2007 11:09 AM
I say, Dont even try to do it that way, get the new head gasket, and head bolts, and just put a little more money into it, if its pretty old, its a good idea to change them anyway, plus thats one less thing you gatta worry about, and its alot easier when its out... just my opinion though...

"Hondas are like tampons, every pussy has one!!!"
Wednesday, March 28, 2007 4:38 PM
I would not take the head bolts loose without replacing them and the head gasket. I was asking since there is a special tool to do the change, but I don't know where to get it.
Thursday, March 29, 2007 7:27 AM
technically, you don't need to pull the head off to change the cam, but if u must pull the head off, always use new head bolts and gaskets. new head bolts are a MUST on ohc engines. spend a few extra dollars and do it the right way or pay a lot more later

People say that what doesn't kill you in this life
will make you stronger. I'm not sure if that is true
or not, but i do know one thing-You have to learn from
it and it has to make you better.......it has to.......

Friday, March 30, 2007 4:05 PM
i changed my headgasket last year, i just want to swap the cam out with a MPFI one thats got a little more lift, i don't want to do all that work if i have to change the headgasket again so i'll just continue to drive it the way it is then
Sunday, April 01, 2007 8:55 PM
Get arp head studs and an MLS headgasket.
You have to pull off the head or you wont be able to get the new cam in if you can even get the old one out.

Cardomain|Myspace

Monday, April 02, 2007 9:12 PM
The car is smoking now, so when I get the cash it's time for a full rebuild and if I can get the turbo cartridge reasonably that too. Looks like I will end up removing the head anyways. Tips for more power and durability?
Tuesday, April 03, 2007 6:11 AM
bigger turbo... lol.. thats the main thing... cat back exhaust.. MSD ignition (wont add too much tho)... umm... well i might say more later lol.. i just got up!!!!

"Hondas are like tampons, every pussy has one!!!"
Tuesday, April 03, 2007 11:50 AM
Has 2 1/2 inch exhaust with no cat and a t-28 right now.

Friday, April 06, 2007 9:06 AM
There IS A special tool that lets you change cams without loosening or removing headbolts. It bolts to the cam carrier, and has a big lever arm that compresses all valve springs at once, which relieves the tension on the cam allowing it to slide out.

There is a picture of it, and a part number, in the official GM service manual. But I've never found anywhere that had it. i'd love to buy one just to rent out to people if I could get my hands on one. I'll try and take a picture/scan it later.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search