2nd gen 2200 ignition diagram - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2nd gen 2200 ignition diagram
Thursday, July 19, 2007 8:31 AM
Hey guys, I searched like crazy, but I didn't have any luck.

With NY J-bodies' site being down, my wiring diagram source is down too.

I need the wiring diagram for a 2nd gen 2200 4 banger. I need to figure out which wires do what on the ignition module, as I need convert it for use with an Ecotec running on Megasquirt with the ignition upgrade.

Thanks!!!

Re: 2nd gen 2200 ignition diagram
Thursday, July 19, 2007 8:32 AM
you need a pre 91 IIRC (3 plug) 2,2 ign module, as for the pinouts, PM sharkey as he's the one who wired mine up.

watch for flying sparks!!!
Thursday, July 19, 2007 6:40 PM
The 96+ ignition module is really just a big transistor for the pcm to control the coils. The module synch and the firing of each coil is always handled by the pcm. 95 and older engines have the type of module which is compatible with a single coil trigger typical of most MS systems.

lmk if you don't find a diagram.

-->Slow
Friday, July 20, 2007 8:57 PM
My setup with MS will let me control two coils, due to it being the V2.2 board. I think V3.0 is the one that can't control more than 1 coil.

I have a diagram for the 95-earlier setup, but I can't find one for the 96-newer. NY J-bodies' website going down really hurts. Any chance you have a diagram?

Thanks again!
Friday, July 20, 2007 9:48 PM
it all depends on how you want to do it. if you want to run the crank sugnal to the megasquirt and deal with all that, use the 92+. i did the megasquirt in justins (boostnbags) turbo eco 2nd gen. i used a 91 and prior coil pack/module. it made is very simple as the crank trigger wires up to the module, and only 3 wires hook to the megasquirt. sending the crank signal to the megasquirt gets complicated as i dont know if it supports a 7x trigger wheel.

btw: they switched the coil module design to send the crank signal to the ecm in 92 when they swapped to multiport injection. i grabbed a 93 setup only to find out it wasnt what i was after.

Sunday, July 22, 2007 1:00 PM
Quote:

they switched the coil module design to send the crank signal to the ecm in 92 when they swapped to multiport injection.

This is true for the Pontiac OHC 2.0, but not the 2.2 OHV system. Those remain unchanged until 96.

Quote:

My setup with MS will let me control two coils, due to it being the V2.2 board. I think V3.0 is the one that can't control more than 1 coil.

But you need to do more than that to use the newer module. You need to have MS decode the crank position signal then decide which coil to fire first. AFAIK it's not up to the task yet.

Wiring diagram...
6 pin connector
A --- Tach signal out (white)
B --- (Not used)
C --- EST signal from ECM (white)
D --- Bypass control (tan / black)
E --- REFerence Pulses (ppl / white)
F --- Module ground, connects to ecm (black / red)

2 pin connector on same side
A --- Ground (Black)
B --- Ign Power (Pink)
The IGN wire is usually 12 gauge at a minimum.

The 2 pin connector on the other side goes to the crank position sensor.
hth
-->Slow
Sunday, July 22, 2007 1:04 PM
Was thinking of wrong module. There are (2) 2 pin connectors on the same side of the module as the 6 pin connector. The one with the wide terminal is the power / ground connection. The larger terminal is the power connection. The other 2 wire connector, of course, is to the crank pos. sensor.

-->Slow
Sunday, July 22, 2007 5:14 PM
ok i must be wrong even though ive installed an ecotec in a 2nd gen using a megasquirt. i grabbed an ignition module from a 93 2.2l and it would not work, the crank position sensor signal is sent to the ecm. same with a 92. i found a 91 and it worked just fine. lots of stuff will tell you different, however first had expiriance tells me other wise. im reffering to a 2.2l ohv, not a 2.0l ohc, thats a completly different ignition module.

Sunday, July 22, 2007 6:04 PM
Did some searching through books and wiring diagrams. Crank sensor signal is definitely sent to the module from 87 - 93. In 94 there's a change for some vehicles. Cavalier and Beretta / Corsica models switched to a 3 wire Hall effect sensor and the signal is sent to the ecm, while the S / T trucks remain unchanged through 96.

I don't know what you found, but I'd be glad to send you a spare module from my 93 2.2 if you wanted to check it out on that Ecotec.

-->Slow
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search