Time for a rebuild. - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Time for a rebuild.
Monday, July 23, 2007 8:33 PM
I am finally rebuilding the engine in my Sunbird. Any advice on quick ways to make it last longer and have more power? It's a 2.0 turbo with a Garrett t-28.

Re: Time for a rebuild.
Tuesday, July 24, 2007 10:21 AM
well if u want it to last longer and support the extra power that u wanna throw at it, i'd go with forged internals and all high quality parts. you will need them if u want to run at higher boost levels

People say that what doesn't kill you in this life
will make you stronger. I'm not sure if that is true
or not, but i do know one thing-You have to learn from
it and it has to make you better.......it has to.......

Wednesday, July 25, 2007 8:27 PM
Pistons are already forged, but I don't think the stock crank and rods are, but from what I have heard they will handle 350 horsepower or so. The head is a year and a half old, so should be in good shape, but I will let the machine shop decide that. I do want to find a good cam kit for it, and get any tips on freeing it up some to make more power.
Thursday, July 26, 2007 1:47 PM
well if you are looking for a good cam check out mantapart.com they have make a really aggressive but useful cam for your car. i dealed with them a lot and have had greagt success although some people have been ripped off or waited forever to receive theyre product(s) so beware. as far as freeing up and creating some horsepower, mantapart has underdrive pulley kits (crank, alternator whatever) and they come with belts. underdrive pulleys are especially good for turbo applications as they take a little stress off of the crank. header hi-flo cat, and 2.5-3 inch exhaust(depending on boost levels) will net you really great gains and also probably the best place to start, since the exhaust side tends to be the achilles heel with these cars. after exhaust, i would open up the intake a little, possibly a ported manifold? after that install a good camshaft and all drivetrain components neccessary. then i'd install an intercooler and blowoff valve and air/fuel gauge so you can adjust fuel pressure accordingly an/or install bigger injectors if needed. then the fun part-cranking up the boost. turn up slowly though lol. after that, finish up with whatever mods tickle your fancy like maybe a bigger throttle body. after all this and maybe a little more, you'll have quite a potent and hopefully reliable motor. i listed everything in the order that i would do them in if i were in your shoes lol.

People say that what doesn't kill you in this life
will make you stronger. I'm not sure if that is true
or not, but i do know one thing-You have to learn from
it and it has to make you better.......it has to.......

Saturday, July 28, 2007 4:46 PM
Also, to make it last longer, use clivette bearings, and premium pistons rings from hastings... not sure what else... just make sure that cam wont be too big, if you get it too big, it will cause overlap in the valves with all the boost.. then youd get alot of turbo lag and everything else...

"Hondas are like tampons, every pussy has one!!!"
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search