programming 88 sunbird gt - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
programming 88 sunbird gt
Sunday, July 29, 2007 1:31 AM
What tool works for reprogamming this ECU.........everything I can find is 1990 and newer.

Re: programming 88 sunbird gt
Sunday, July 29, 2007 4:01 AM
Same tool as 89.

-->Slow
Sunday, July 29, 2007 4:01 AM
And 90.
Sunday, July 29, 2007 10:00 AM
any specific brand name?
Sunday, July 29, 2007 11:09 AM
Ive been informed that there is no way to program this car and that a 3 bar map for this car would be a direct replacement for the stock 2 bar map

its only the odbII vehicles that need programming.....?

I tried the 3 bar map last night and my car did run......but the fuel studdered under boost? will this 3 bar simply not work on my car?
Sunday, July 29, 2007 6:22 PM

Search the net for $58, syclone, typhoon, tuning, syty, 7749, gmecm, 3 BAR patch, eprom burner, memcal, and whatever else you can think of. Get creative. Use google and boardreader.com. People have been doing this for over 10 years, so be sure and search farther back than 3 months.

-->Slow
Sunday, July 29, 2007 9:44 PM
well Im a nooB when it comes to tuning .....so im trying to come up with the answers right now.......and your helping me haha! so how similar is a typhoon and syclone ecu to my car?
Monday, July 30, 2007 10:52 PM
the 3 bar map sensor is not a direct replacment, it requires tuning. the way a map sensor works is by using a 5 volt refference and depending on how much vacumne/boost there is, it sends a voltage signal to corespond. now a 2 bar map sensor is 0-2.5 volts in vacume, 2.5-5 volts is 14.5 psi boost. with a 3 bar map sensor, 0-1.6 volts is vacume, and 1.6- 5 volts is 0-29psi. basicly without programming your computer interperets the signal wrong, it thinks its at 3 psi when your actualy at 8 (just a quick example, i doubt those would actualy corespond).

also, without programming, there is no way to remove the overboost fuel cut at 12 psi, and you have no fuel and spark tables over 15psi, so a 3 bar map would be pointless.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search