GM stereo replacement - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
GM stereo replacement
Sunday, October 21, 2007 6:40 PM
what years will work in 92 cav i want to add a newer stereo with cd, but want the gm radio

Re: GM stereo replacement
Monday, October 22, 2007 3:26 PM
fast wrote:what years will work in 92 cav i want to add a newer stereo with cd, but want the gm radio

most radios up until 99-00 depending on the model of car, your best bet is to get a cd player from a 96-99 cavalier, the 95's had a @!#$ty cd player which was very similar to the factory cd player offered in 91-94 cavaliers
Tuesday, October 23, 2007 11:16 PM
i had a double din stereo out of a 99 chevy blazer in my 89 cavalier for about 6 months... never gave me any problems...

Thursday, October 25, 2007 5:54 PM
Standard radio size on most GM vehicles from 1982 until the late 1990s was the DIN+1/2 2000 series radio head unit. Thats the ubiquitous square-box two knob stacked on the left combo that we are discussing. Most cars 1982-1988 utilized a 12-pin car side connector. 1988 introduced 20/21 pin connectors that lasted until just recently when pin connector styles multiplied due to the proliferation of audio/video options. An adapter is available that will allow you to convert any DIN+1/2 radio to be used in any GM vehicle that utilizes the standard DIN+1/2 slot.

My 88 Cavvy has a radio out of a 1991 Cadillac it is not a CD player but an AM/FM stereo with equalizer "Symphony Sound" about the best you could get without the CD player. I debate in my head back and forth whether to buy an aftermarket CD player and install it. The 50watt 4 channel factory unit is comparable to most every lower-priced aftermarket units. Since I have 4 cars I drive the Cavvy almost exclusively with the top down. So I wouldn't use the CD much at all since it is not a daily driver for me.

We have the ability to source OE radios new and used and the early style DIN+1/2 radios 1988-1994ish CD players notoriously expensive. If you really want a CD player (unless you already have one). I have seen eBay examples go for $249 mainly because the GM muscle car crowd (Camaros, Corvettes, Grand National Regals) buy them for the originality factor for judging.

Now my 81 Eldorado has a factory 8-Track Quadraphonic. LOL!

GM Powertrain Engineer
Currently in Charlotte, NC
Worked at Lordstown Assembly in Mid 90s
Hamtramck, Lake Orion, Lansing Grand River
Currently work on older cars but support
any GM make or any car for that matter.
Owned 3 J's over the years among other cars.
Currently 88 Z24 Convert. Mostly stock.
Mild exhaust, chip, CAI, stereo, etc.
Feel free to hit me up on anything!
Friday, October 26, 2007 2:10 AM
not to get off topic.But why not just get a cheap reliable aftermarket deck? I have a jvc deck i bought from a buddy for 10$ for my winter beater and for a wal-mart deck i couldn't be happier with the sound quality ect..

Vote for my car for car of the month on www.v6z24.com..
Sunday, October 28, 2007 1:12 AM
tHANX FOR THE INFO
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search