How do i know what size motor i have? - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
How do i know what size motor i have?
Wednesday, October 24, 2007 10:44 AM
Yeah i got a 02 4door cav, its got k&n intake,headers, 2 1/2 pipe and exuast! i think its a 2.2 but i was reading somewhere it might be the 2.4 so how do i know?

@!#$ Hondas!!

Re: How do i know what size motor i have?
Wednesday, October 24, 2007 10:57 AM
look at the engine and read what it says on top?

you did all that work and don't even know what engine you have?

2001 Olds Alero (LD9)
636 whp / 543 ft-lb
@turboalero
Wednesday, October 24, 2007 10:58 AM
btw 2002 =/= 1988-1994, you have a 3rd gen. also your sig is HUGE

2001 Olds Alero (LD9)
636 whp / 543 ft-lb
@turboalero
Wednesday, October 24, 2007 11:00 AM
^^^^^btw you double posted.....
Wednesday, October 24, 2007 11:39 AM
btw it has different content, I don't have a premium account so I can't edit posts

2001 Olds Alero (LD9)
636 whp / 543 ft-lb
@turboalero
Wednesday, October 24, 2007 5:08 PM
[ion wrote: C2]look at the engine and read what it says on top?

you did all that work and don't even know what engine you have?
x2

Also, if reading the top of the engine is out of the question, if the headers aren't on the front of the engine, I assure you that it is not a 2.2L OHV. There is also a 2.2L ecotec(I'm not really sure which one you thought you had) - IIRC 2002 was the first year you could get them but ecotecs really aren't my thing so I could be(and probably am) wrong. In any case looking at the engine is a pretty good indicator.

I've never heard of this "part throttle" before. Does it just bolt on?
Thursday, October 25, 2007 7:36 PM
Actually unless it's an electric car you do not have a motor (other than window motors and the starter motor), you have an engine. Normally there will be a sticker under the hood for emissions purposes, and it will state what the displacement of your engine is.
Thursday, October 25, 2007 10:27 PM
aside from the emmissions label, look at the top of the mnotor. on the 2.2l ohv it will say 2200 on the top of the airbox above the throttle body. also, the intake manifold is by the firewall and exaust manifold near the rad support. if it says "twin cam" on the valve cover, its a 2.4l, and if it sway ecotec, thats obviously a 2.2l ecotec.

Friday, October 26, 2007 2:07 AM
could always look at the serial number,take it in and get a history run up on it.It will tell you almost everything.

Vote for my car for car of the month on www.v6z24.com..
Friday, October 26, 2007 6:28 PM
can do that to. going by vin, the 8th digit is the engine code, iirc, there is a vin decoder somewere on this site.

Saturday, October 27, 2007 8:44 AM
Scotty Bishop wrote:Actually unless it's an electric car you do not have a motor (other than window motors and the starter motor), you have an engine.

Haha I almost made a comment on that, so many people call their engines "motors."

2001 Olds Alero (LD9)
636 whp / 543 ft-lb
@turboalero

Wednesday, November 14, 2007 1:03 PM
[ion wrote: C2]
Scotty Bishop wrote:Actually unless it's an electric car you do not have a motor (other than window motors and the starter motor), you have an engine.

Haha I almost made a comment on that, so many people call their engines "motors."

Hello, I am from Peru (so, I speak spanish) and I have this doubt, is there any difference between "engine" and "motor"? Are they the same? As far as I know, "engine" is most popular or used, but can I use "motor" too?

Thanks

Sidney
Wednesday, November 14, 2007 7:57 PM
An engine is typically a mechanical device, whereas a motor is typically an electrical device. Swapping the two names is similar to swapping "wheel" and "tire". Lots of people call tires wheels. Its not technically correct, but everyone knows what they're talking about.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search