Parking Brake Light - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Parking Brake Light
Monday, January 08, 2007 10:26 AM
I have a 94 cavy and the brake light stays on constantly, I have tried what I thought would fix it which was disconnect the wire going to the brake lever to see if that fixed it, but it stayed on..............any clues as to why it stays on??

I don't know j-body's yet........but I will!

Re: Parking Brake Light
Monday, January 08, 2007 6:21 PM
there is a sensor in the master cylender to alert you when you brake fluid is low. check your brake fluid, if its low, dont just top it up, find out why its low. you may have a leak or it may be time for a brake job.

Wednesday, February 07, 2007 12:00 PM
the fluid is full, and my light is still on............any other suggestions anyone?

Wednesday, February 07, 2007 3:27 PM
My '93 info says:-

1. Ignition switch provides the Brake Warning light with a ground in the START and RUN positions.

2. The PARK BRAKE provides a ground when the brake is applied.

3. The BRAKE FLUID LEVEL indicator provides a ground if the fluid level is low--this switch COULD be faulty?

4. The DRL module(If you have one) can fail and provide a ground when it should not. Disconnect the DRL module and, if the light then extiguishes, change the module.

5.Disconnect the Electronic Brake Control Module-if the light then goes out, at least you know the fault is caused by this-----Gets more complicated here--would really need a scan tool to find out where the problem is.

6. The ignition switch could fail and provide a ground when it should not--if it does, change the ignition switch.

7. Finally, you may have a short to ground (Chaffed/pinched wire) anywhere on the ground side of the Brake light circuit.

So, if you were to work your way through these--You have checked 2. already, with 3.--try disconnecting the Fluid level switch--in case it's faulty.

Hope there's some help here, anyway

Alont
Wednesday, February 07, 2007 8:11 PM
Make sure your stoplight switch is tight enough. Unplug the electrical connector to it at the top of the brake pedal, and twist it in until the button is fully depressed. Reconnect the connector(s) and you should be good to go!

Wednesday, February 07, 2007 8:52 PM
So, Justen

did you mean the Brake indicator on the dash or the rear exterior brake lights?

Alont
Thursday, February 08, 2007 6:15 AM
The Brake indicator light on the dash..... I have tried everything I know, so now I will try what was stated earlier, and I will work to see what I come up with and get back to everyone.

Wednesday, October 17, 2007 9:13 AM
alont wrote:My '93 info says:-

1. Ignition switch provides the Brake Warning light with a ground in the START and RUN positions.

2. The PARK BRAKE provides a ground when the brake is applied.

3. The BRAKE FLUID LEVEL indicator provides a ground if the fluid level is low--this switch COULD be faulty?

4. The DRL module(If you have one) can fail and provide a ground when it should not. Disconnect the DRL module and, if the light then extiguishes, change the module.

5.Disconnect the Electronic Brake Control Module-if the light then goes out, at least you know the fault is caused by this-----Gets more complicated here--would really need a scan tool to find out where the problem is.

6. The ignition switch could fail and provide a ground when it should not--if it does, change the ignition switch.

7. Finally, you may have a short to ground (Chaffed/pinched wire) anywhere on the ground side of the Brake light circuit.

So, if you were to work your way through these--You have checked 2. already, with 3.--try disconnecting the Fluid level switch--in case it's faulty.

Sorry to bring this back from the dead, but I am running into the same problem on my 93 sunbird.
I've checked the fluid level, and tested the switch inside the console on the brake lever, both are fine.

The next thing I was going to check is the DRL module. Does anyone know where exactly it is? My chiltons manual makes no mention of it. I've done some reading, and found it may be one of the 2 modules mounted on the inside of the fender, next to the battery. Does anyone know if this is the case, and if so, which one it is?

Hope there's some help here, anyway

Alont

Wednesday, October 17, 2007 9:15 AM
Sorry for the quote mistake:
Here's the part I wanted to say:

Sorry to bring this back from the dead, but I am running into the same problem on my 93 sunbird.
I've checked the fluid level, and tested the switch inside the console on the brake lever, both are fine.

The next thing I was going to check is the DRL module. Does anyone know where exactly it is? My chiltons manual makes no mention of it. I've done some reading, and found it may be one of the 2 modules mounted on the inside of the fender, next to the battery. Does anyone know if this is the case, and if so, which one it is?
Wednesday, October 17, 2007 8:48 PM
After further reading, the 2 above mentioned boxes are just relays, and the module is located somewhere inside the car under the dash?

I found the part number on the ac delco website (12370445), but they never had a picture of it, so I don't even know what I am looking for. Any info is appreciated.
Thursday, October 18, 2007 3:35 AM
My '93 book says:-

1. DRL MODULE--Behind Left Hand Side of Instrument Panel, near connector C200

2. DRL RELAY---Left Hand Front of engine compartment, behind headlights.[ I was going to physically check which one was DRL Relay --the other is Cooling fan relay, this morning,you beat me to it]

3. For CONVERTIBLE ONLY--DRL IN-LINE FUSE----Left Hand rear of engine compartment, behind brake fluid resevoir. It's a 20 amp

Hope this helps

Alont

Thursday, October 18, 2007 6:54 AM
Thanks for the info. I appreciate the help.
Thursday, October 18, 2007 6:54 PM
alont wrote:My '93 book says:-

1. DRL MODULE--Behind Left Hand Side of Instrument Panel, near connector C200

2. DRL RELAY---Left Hand Front of engine compartment, behind headlights.[ I was going to physically check which one was DRL Relay --the other is Cooling fan relay, this morning,you beat me to it]

3. For CONVERTIBLE ONLY--DRL IN-LINE FUSE----Left Hand rear of engine compartment, behind brake fluid resevoir. It's a 20 amp

Hope this helps

Alont

Does your manual have a picture of what it looks like? (I'm assume you must have the factory service manual?... I think I'm going to have to buy that. My chiltons manual is useless ) If so, could you describe it? My manual makes no mention of connector C200, so I'm not really sure where that is either.

I've pulled all the tupperware out from the drivers side right up to the instrument cluster, and there is alot of things in there, but I really don't know even what I am looking for.

I am confident though, it is related to the DRLs though, becuase if I pull the DRL fuse the light goes out, and works normally. (But the heater and something else is on that fuse, so pulling it isn't an option).

Thanks,
Ron
Friday, October 19, 2007 5:17 PM
Update:

I found the DRL module. Its a circuit board inside the end of a dongle that opens up on 1 end. You can pull it out with a pair of needle nose pliers.

That said, removing it didnt' solve the problem. The light is still on. I'm still convinced that it has something to do with DRLs, or that circuit since removing the DRL fuse solves the issue.

For what its worth, I just noticed today that when the ignition switch is initially turned on, the DRLs come on, and the brake light goes out, for about 2 seconds; then the drls go out, and the dash light comes on.

Anyway, thanks Alnot for your help. If I ever get to the bottom of this, I'll post back.
Thanks.
Saturday, October 20, 2007 5:08 AM
Hi Ron

I had not given up on this, just busy.

My Workshop manual has no picture of the DRL module, so , glad you found it..

When you say you pull the DRL Fuse, do you mean the HTR/A/C 25 amp fuse? I don't show any Fuse specifically marked "DRLs"

I could be wrong but I think you may have an ABS defect, which will illuminate the Brake Indicator light-the book says to disconnect the Electronic Brake Control Module (EBCM) connector C2 (That's the connector actually on the EBCM ) The books next step, if disconnecting the DRL Module doesn't put the light out is to disconnect the EBCM at connector C2---if the light then goes out you have an ABS fault, may even be a chafed or broken ABS wheel sensor cable!!

Just for info, these are the components that provide a ground at times to bring the light ON--the +12 volts is supplied by the 10 amp Gauges Fuse, in all circuits.

1. DRL Module

2.Park Brake switch

3.Start/Bulb test on Ignition Switch

4.Electronic Brake Control Module (EBCM) A.B.S. System

5. Low Brake Fluid level

Alont
Saturday, October 20, 2007 1:15 PM
Thanks for your reply. You are correct, I mean the AC/Heater fuse. Unfortunatly, the DRLs don't have their own fuse. If they did, I would pull it, and problem would be solved.

My abs has been disconnected for a few years now and except for the ABS light (which I expected) everything has worked normally until a few weeks ago when the main brake light came on. I don't recall which connector was pulled to disable them, but I'll have another look. The shop manual I have is fairly complete in that area, so I should be able to figure it out.

Thanks again for your help. If I ever figure this out, I'll post back.
Thanks,
Ron
Sunday, October 21, 2007 8:24 PM
Update:

I have found the issue, but as to why, and what I am going to do next, I don't know.

As mentioned above, I disconnected the C1 and C2 connectors, and the 2 electrical connectors from the system a few years back because the ABS was screwing up. (Every once in awhile, it would malfunction, completly cutting off the brakes, making it impossible to push the pedal down. Obviously, this was dangerous, so I disabled the system by pulling the connectors)

Pulling the 2 connectors and electrical connectors cased the ABS dash light to come on, but that was expected. The (!) brake light never did light, and worked normally (until recently)

Tonight, I reconnected the C1 and C2 connectors, and sure enough, the dash light went out, and the DRLs came on.
Unfortunatly, because I don't trust the ABS system, I disconnected them again.

I'm curious to as why the light will light now, when the connectors are unplugged, but work when plugged. (Its opposite as to what the manual says.)

In any event, I'm not going to spend any kind of money to fix the ABS, so I guess this looks like something that I might just have to live with.
-Ron
Monday, October 29, 2007 11:14 AM
I have the exact same issue with my 99 Cavalier. The ABS light has always been on and now my parking/brake light is on also. I don't know enough about cars to start pulling connectors, etc., out but I can't live with my brake light on because they won't do an emission test with the light on and now I can't get my plates renewed. I know I don't need a brake job because that was done about one year ago. I called a shop and they told me to try adding more brake fluid even if it is to the full line. I'm going to try it.
Friday, November 02, 2007 2:37 PM
Are your abs connectors unplugged? If so, try plugging them back in, and see if your light goes out?

I'm going to try and get myself a new ecbu from a junkyard, and see if that solves my issue.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search