turbo eco bagged droptop 2ndgen update.... - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
turbo eco bagged droptop 2ndgen update....
Monday, January 07, 2008 10:33 PM
well, as some of you know and some don't my ability to run 13 psi and a stock motor came to an end in october... car was pulled off the road. and was waiting for some things to show up.....

today, the parts showed up on my doorstep so here's the start of my 2008 motor build.....

Wiseco 8.9:1 standard bore pistons
eagle H beam Rods
GM performance Adj. cam gears
Fidanza 8lb alum flywheel....

not pictured
24lb/hr injectors
60lb/hr injectors,
arp headstuds
cometic H/G

on order tial 38mm wastegate,
ATP turbo polished SS heatshield
arp mainstuds
arp flywheel bolts

questions comments, concerns let me know.

watch for flying sparks!!!

Re: turbo eco bagged droptop 2ndgen update....
Monday, January 07, 2008 10:44 PM
your thread title caught my attention... pics please

Thursday, January 10, 2008 1:28 PM
updates i wanted to do this with my last cavy but i had to get rid of it before i could secure a transplant.

Thursday, January 10, 2008 7:16 PM
photos n media has updates, and a couple pics of the car..

Tuesday, January 15, 2008 10:55 PM
My only real concern is this:

If I ever see this car IRL, I would cream my jeans. Please keep out of Alberta, Canada. I like my pants the way they are.

2010 Honda Fit LX
Wednesday, January 16, 2008 9:06 AM
lol it's funny you should mentino that i might be in ab in may for the formerlly known Jspeed,/hothweelz/ whatever else little faction split happened, sylvan lake weekend.

Sunday, February 03, 2008 10:45 PM
Lulz, I'm up in Hell... errrr Grande Prairie. Too bad my car is kinda seized up (the one my wife doesn't drive, anyhow), I'd love to spend time around some other car folks, learn, and get a few ideas for my poor car.

2010 Honda Fit LX
Monday, February 04, 2008 5:27 PM
bit of an update. i picked the stuff up from the balancing shop today. surprizingly the crank was very close to correct balance as it was, however the rods and pistons were out a pile. my balancing guy is very pickey, most guys balance to +/-1 gram, my guy does down to -/+ 0.1 grams. there is reasons to be this fussy, not so much in a motor like this but in some of the other high horsepower stuff ive built.

the block is now prepped. i de-burred all the sharp edges, drilled and tapped for the oil return for the turbo, drilled the block for the old style knock sensor (used with the megasquirt), ball-honed the cylender walls and got it painted

its actualy cast iron grey, the pics look more like a light ford grey. it will look much better after i get the clear on it.

i also pulled the head apart today so i can get it cleaned up. the head is from an 02 malibu, not that it makes a difference.

hoping in the next week or so ill get my equipment back to cc everything. for anyone curious ill post combustion chamber volume and piston volume. im still waiting on bearings and main bolts, should have that early in the week though

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 4:28 PM
this is a swap that ive been debating on for a wile ....
my consern is this does the eco mate to the getrag tranny
how hard is the fab work for the mounts .

nice work on the car
thanx for any info that you may provide

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 4:33 PM
are you using a stcok head.

"boobs now with Riboflabin"
Thursday, February 14, 2008 9:05 AM
jcavi i may be, but it's going to have a mild port job, level zero triflow cams, gm performance springs, and oversize valves.

sk843143 no it does not mate to the getrag, the mounts were almost the easiest part of the swap. to make it work we had to do (quick list)
new mounts, standalone, full rewire, custom exhaust manifold (i went turbo), new Throttle cable, new injectors, wideband, bigger fuel pump, new fuel pressure regulator, 3rd gen coolant tank, vaccumn distribution, 2.2 ignition module, msd coils, wires ect. and there's far far more than this. just cannot remember everything else, all told with all the parts, materials, welder, the swap came to almost 8000 dollars...... i really don't suggest this swap unless you have a LOT of extra $ kicking around. it was a 6 month endevor, and wow was it difficult.

Thursday, February 14, 2008 7:14 PM
so. it wont be stock

thats awsome man.

sounds like a reliabe 400 to 450.

what standalone

Friday, February 15, 2008 1:07 AM
running MS, was running it last year as well. and hoping for 3-4 when i want it 250ish daily.....

Thursday, February 21, 2008 4:51 PM
good man. how did you go about running timing, or did you not sort that out yet. I think the general consensu is to just use the older IGN modual with out the cam sync.. im still caught up on this.

Saturday, February 23, 2008 8:38 AM
jcavi, correct yet again, we used the 2.2 iogn module from a pre 93 iirc car.

car's allready ran for a season, just stock internals + sea level+ 10psi+ full standalone = boom. several times..... so now were building a motor that we can safely run 250-300daily and be able to increase the boost to really put out some #'s.

Monday, February 25, 2008 3:02 PM
thats sounds weird? 10 psi shouldnt of poped the block. what went? and what did you estimate your hp at. Ive seen stock ecos run 300 all day long.

as for the ms. I have sucsefully run fuel on the car with no real problems. but it is apparent to me that if I want to run properly with out the hickups and ruff running issues timing is a must. so i was wondering when it comes time for me to run the setup do you mind if I pester you with a few questions. Ive got a few good sopurces but nothing beats a good cross reference. something that worked for tech a might have not worked for tech b. thanks man

Monday, February 25, 2008 6:29 PM
i was well over 250 when it poped.. sharkey will also be able to answer your questions when it comes to the swap. the other issue was the dwell setting was too low, (have to go into the ini and change it. so i either has @!#$ all for timing or 22deg.....

Saturday, March 01, 2008 8:29 AM
Sharkey finally got his barett back and got to cc-ing the motor

stock piston- 2.25cc
wiseco "8.9:1" piston- 7.75cc
combustion chamber with stock dished valves- 52.25cc
stock intake valve- 1.75cc
stock exaust valve- 0.25cc

with the stock stock .020" head gasket it puts me at 9.24:1. now depending on the dish of the valves i get compression could go up or down. also, turbo tech racing has a .040, .045 and .051" thick cometic head gaskets, so i can adjust compression up or down if need be. so after doing this, i now know wiseco 8.9:1 pistons put you at 9.24, right were i wanna be. i also know im pretty acurate as the stock pistons put me at 9.99:1.

Saturday, March 01, 2008 8:30 AM
Complete short block

were actually still waiting on the bushings for the balance shaft delete, once i get them ill post pics. im now waiting on the bates 94lb spring kit and the stainless valves. i also have porting to get done now. itll probly be a while before i have a big update on this.

Saturday, March 01, 2008 7:25 PM
looking good buddy! now where the @!#$ are my pictures???? lol

FDP 62MM TB, FFP Performance Chip, FFP Underdrive Pully, WAI, Hi Flow Cat, 2.5" Catback, Functional Ram Air Hood, Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch
Sunday, March 09, 2008 10:29 PM
Nother update.
ok well not so long since the last update, but this is a big one, the valve train and balance shaft bushings have now showed up.

balance shaft delete kit

stainless valves, bates 94lb valve springs, titanium retainers and spring seats.

intake valve new/old

exaust new/old

spring seats and retainers, new/old

springs new/old

for some reason i had this pile on my bench

yea thats right, i was doing some weight reduction on the head. actualy, my dad, who has been building race motors for over 30 years did it, and while he was at it he improved the ports. here is the intake

and the exaust

Thanks to sharkey yet again his dad just saved me $$$
im going to have to either build or buy a valve spring compressor for this head, as i have a huge c-clamp designed for valve springs with 350+ lbs on the seat, so its a bit on the large side.

Monday, March 10, 2008 2:13 PM
very nice

**changes are here**

Thursday, March 13, 2008 9:06 AM
cylindar head is now together. Sharkey had to build my own valvespring compressor as i could only get a snap on one for an ungodly amoutn of money. worked alright aside from a slight design flaw smashing me in the face (litteralty).

not a whole lot to see. head gasket should be hear tomorow and hoping this weekend ill be wrapping up the engine building portion. still need to modify the turbo manifold for an external wastegate, waiting on the clutch.

Sunday, March 23, 2008 12:03 PM
been a while since ive updated, just figured out the last pics i took were still on the camera.

that was getting the cam specs (level zero motorsports doesnt give cam cards, so nothing to go by). calculated the centerline with stock cam gears then set it up with the adjustable gears. to anyone just throwing on adjustable gears, the marks really mean nothing. by setting the gears to 0, without degreeing the cams you will be way out to lunch.

ill take some more pics tonight, the motor itself is finnished. im now fitting the turbo manifold with a tial sport wastegate and building a new downpipe to delete the flapper valve internal wastegate. ran into an issue, finding out that the turbo we are using isnt a standard ford 5 bolt t3 downpipe flange, rather being a large frame t3 (looks the same, just bigger), so the proper flange is a few days away yet.

ok got some new pics

waste gate is mounted, just gonna make a support bracket for it. i need to finnish welding up the wastegate-downpipe peice, and of course need the downpipe flange and build the new downpipe.

on a sidenote, the clutch should be here in a couple days. went with a spec stage 3+, should get the job done.

now that he is a vendor, i gotta put a big thanks out to karo from allecotec.com, he has been a big help with getting parts for this entire build. his stuff is top knotch and great to deal with.

Monday, May 05, 2008 10:06 PM
and th update IT RUNS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search