1990 sunbird gt headlight help - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
1990 sunbird gt headlight help
Sunday, February 17, 2008 5:02 PM
ok guys here's the deal: i took my car out of storage today and realized that my headlights don't flip up and down. the headlights will come on but the headlight doors will not move. the motors for the headlight doors just hum almost endlessly and i can't even use the cranks to crank the headlight doors open because they just spin freely but the doors will not move. rumor has it that this is a common problem on these cars. i'm thinking maybe the motors are burnt out or the gears could be stripped. anybody have any ideas as to what could be causing this? i need to get the headlights working properly or else the car will not pass state (pa) inspection. it's a 2.0 turbo auto if that means anything. all help will be greatly appreciated.

People say that what doesn't kill you in this life
will make you stronger. I'm not sure if that is true
or not, but i do know one thing-You have to learn from
it and it has to make you better.......it has to.......

Re: 1990 sunbird gt headlight help
Wednesday, February 20, 2008 4:02 PM
This JUST happened to me, exact same car if its white, lol. I just finish a long engine rebuild and the car sat for some time. I ran into the exact same thing that you are describing. What I ended up doing was just spraying the crap out of all the joints for the headlight doors with GM penatrent oil. Some WD or PB blaster like stuff. Then worked the doors with my hands up and down a few times, sprayed, worked the doors, ect. Then I tried the switch and they tried to open, but not all the way, so I raised em up all the way, then turned the switch off and the closed and opened from then on. Hopefully yours only needs lubed like mine.
Monday, July 07, 2008 9:48 PM
ther eis a guy on e bay that sells bushings to fix these problems...I just ordered some....we will see....
Tuesday, July 08, 2008 6:57 AM
90% of the time the problem is the bushings. You can make them yourself too out of delrin/plastic round stock too, that's al the guy does. Make sure to grease all the linkages while you have the assembly out as well. White lithium spray for ball joints etc and good synthetic grease for other stuff. The whole headlight door assembly comes out with like 4 10 mm screws.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search