headlight question somewhat urgent - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
headlight question somewhat urgent
Thursday, July 24, 2008 12:25 PM
I had a headlight go out.........the glass around the nodes shattered..........replaced the light and 3 weeks later it does the same thing..........any clues?

I don't know j-body's yet........but I will!

Re: headlight question somewhat urgent
Saturday, July 26, 2008 9:59 PM
Well being u have the bulb that goes into a socket type bulb,this could be the situation.The only thing is the plug that the bulb plugs into is corroded or has a bad connection even tho it works.A plug that has deteoriated inside may get hot and inturn blow the bulb the same it would do if it were a marker or tail light bulb socket.I would try replacing the socket for the bulb I am sure auto zone or advance may have those or napa.Do a search on those websites to see if they offer the part,it being common I would think it would be.Make sure if u do this to use heat shrink tubing around the butt connectors to seal out moisture etc.To explain heat shrink tubing it's size varies and it long cylindrical and u strip the wiring slide a piece long enuff to cover the butt connector from end to end slide it on the wire b4 doing the connection crimp the conn both ends slide the heat shrink over it centered and use a lighter to shrink the tubing tight against it and ur done.I shared this in case u have not used it and both auto stores carry it make sure u get a large enuff size to go over the butt connector too.Hope this helps.I am def thinking its ur headlight plug it toast even tho its working and not the relay or major wiring issue.On ur searches try headlight plug or harness.I am way to lazy to check to see myself.

Sunday, July 27, 2008 1:36 AM
you have any water/condensation inside the headlight? normally they'll really only blow the glass if they are on and water contacts them.

Sunday, July 27, 2008 9:33 AM
Make absolutely certain that your fingers are NOT coming in contact with the bulb. Oil from your fingers will heat, causing the glass to shatter just how you described.

1989 Z24 Convertible - Dust Covered
2006 tC - Dust Covered, but driven more
Wednesday, July 30, 2008 6:44 AM
The housing unit has a small hole in it, but I've never seen water in there..............................I can't replace the housing becuase there are no yards around here with the whole mounting section which I need as well.

but I checked the plug it looks ok i'll take a picture tonight and see what you guys think!

I don't know j-body's yet........but I will!
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search