90 turbo LE convert--oil leak,cant find it,help--- - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
90 turbo LE convert--oil leak,cant find it,help---
Wednesday, August 06, 2008 6:31 PM
I have a 90 LE convert w/fact turbo eng,25K on new long block,and everything else thats bolted onto eng.is new also.I have a med to lrg oil lk that I cant find,comming from around the oil pump to block area around where all the pipe are for the sending unit and oil feed to turbo fitting.I`ve repl all the fittings and re sealed em countless times,repl the oil pump to block gskt,oil pan gasket (twice),still it leaks about 1/8 cup oil every min or so,I`ve given up on this thing.Youd think an easy thing like this rather large oil lk would be easy to spot,ITS NOT ! Anybody out there "been there,done that" on an oil leak like I`ve described,,if so,clue me in before I throw this thing in the trash.I just hate to see it sit there,I`ve got bout $4K invested on the restoration and runs real strong (now that it has an intercooler on it),,but cant drive it with that big oil leak,,,,HELP ---Jack

1990 sunbird LE conv w/turbo 2.0L----new eng,turbo,injectors
1984 buick t-type 3.8L turbo v6--fast!
1940 olds sedan street rod

Re: 90 turbo LE convert--oil leak,cant find it,help---
Thursday, August 07, 2008 5:26 PM
Have you checked the large screw in plug on that end of the oil pump? I believe the relief valve is on the front side but isn't there one on the back side too? Been a while since I was in there.

Tony
1987 Sunbird GT turbo convert
Ported intake, Fiero 53 MM TB, 52 lb inj, ported and flowed head, tube header, Mitsu TD06, ARP rod
bolts/head studs, adj cam sprocket, 4" x 12" x 31" FMIC, Paxton AFPR, modified 125 trans/LSD
unit/3.42's, custom chip tuning, Alky Control Methanol injection
13.61 ET at 101.44 mph, 262 WHP/350WTQ

2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP roadster, 2.0 turbo w/GMPP exh, CAI and turbo upgrade, 290 hp/325 ft lbs

1969 Olds 442 convert
400 Eng, 200-4R trans, 3.73 posi, power everything, OAI

Friday, August 08, 2008 6:38 PM

2literturbo--thanks for the reply.I see you have a turbo regal,so do I.I have a 84tt that I converted to 87 goodies with a 4.1L bored out to 4" bore, ta49,50# inj,comp cam 212/212,3"dp,,etc,etc,,,,well, back to that d--mn turbo sunbird.The leak is comming down from who knows where and dripping off the oil pan bolt right next to the oil filter.I`ve moved the motor mount out of the way so I could see better down there,and even run it that way to see if I could pin point the leak,no such luck.This is a VERY HARD TO GET TO AREA.Just wondreing if maybe I have a cracked block there,cause the engine oil feed from the pump to the whole eng is right there too(thats why I repl the oil pump gskt),and even after I repl the oil pump gaskt it didnt make one bit of a difference,so that ruled that out.The leak is starting from up in that general area.Was just wondering if anybody ever heard of or has had any hard to fix oil leaks from that area who could give me a pointer or two as to where exactly to find it. The next step is to replace the oil pump,maybe it has a small crack at one of the threaded holes that serve to connect the oil sending unit pipe and tht other hole is for the oil fitting for the turbo oil tube.When I had the pump out last time,it looked ok,BUT,I never did look at it as trying to find a crack.Those oil pumps for this mototr are quite expensive,,$270 or so,and big PITA to change out.Well,I guess I`ll wait for a mounth or so,to let the weather cool dn a bit,then go back out there and fight this beast,,maybe some of that flourecent dye added to the motor oil,with a black lite,might help--has anybody out there used that stuff,does it work ok ?------see ya,,Jack

Friday, August 08, 2008 7:22 PM
If the area's clean the dye kits do work well. Yeah, the back of these things is a real party to get to isn't it? I don't envy you! I was thinking of the plug on the end of the oil pump (I think there's on one each end anyway) because when I replaced mine (if I recall correctly) the gaskets under the plug were crappy fiber so I replaced them with brass ones. If it's leaking up high do you think it's the cam cover? Worst case is it could be the head gasket leaking. I know mine had coolant and oil leaks when I first got it together and that's what it was. I had it O-ringed and I ran into trouble with sealing it up. Good luck!

And yeah, the turbo Buicks are great aren't they? Waited a long time to get one.

Tony
1987 Sunbird GT turbo convert
Ported intake, Fiero 53 MM TB, 52 lb inj, ported and flowed head, tube header, Mitsu TD06, ARP rod
bolts/head studs, adj cam sprocket, 4" x 12" x 31" FMIC, Paxton AFPR, modified 125 trans/LSD
unit/3.42's, custom chip tuning, Alky Control Methanol injection
13.61 ET at 101.44 mph, 262 WHP/350WTQ

2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP roadster, 2.0 turbo w/GMPP exh, CAI and turbo upgrade, 290 hp/325 ft lbs

1969 Olds 442 convert
400 Eng, 200-4R trans, 3.73 posi, power everything, OAI

Saturday, August 09, 2008 6:34 PM

I guess I`ll just have to roll up the ole sleaves and "just do it",,,,,,Yeah,Ive owned some real nice cars in my day,like a 57 ford with a 427 side oiler,64 vette with a 360hp 396,mustang 5.0L,but this turbo buick is just beyond belief,so much horse power out of "just a six" ,,GM was way ahead of its time when they built these.The only one that would come close to beating my buick was the vette,wish I had it back---thanks for the info,,see ya,,,Jack

Monday, September 01, 2008 1:36 PM
If your still having troubles, I know when I got mine rebuilt there is a plug back there somewhere, somewhere around the oil pressure unit, that never got replaced, took me a while to find it.

Jason

USACi =>146.9db
14.88 @ 90.73MPH =>GM Charger, Motor Mounts, Catback exhaust
Wednesday, October 29, 2008 9:08 PM
When i rebuilt mine, i over tight one plug, and crack the block a little bit!

I weld the crack and save the block!
Wednesday, October 29, 2008 9:44 PM
Just a suggestion but use some brake clean to clean the area 1st.Granted the leak may be from the head,or maybe pump who knows.I realize the turbo's are notorious for leaks where the oil line goes into the turbo with a rubber hose (may be correct or not ).I would use prolly at least a can or more to remove the residue and then just start it up and let it idle and see if u can trace it out.Now short story I had my oil sending unit leaking oil straight the end of it where it is rubber and lost 2 qts drvg hwy.Granted I was lucky to have more oil in my car and very lucky that the next exit had a shop with a sender in stock for my 2.0 ohv cav.Luck was on my side.Weird for sure

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search