Cranks but does not start - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Cranks but does not start
Wednesday, August 20, 2008 9:14 AM
I picked up a 89 Turbo Sunbird Conv. for a good price, the owner said he was at a light and it just died, I got it home on trailer
and checked fuel pressure, there was none, checked for voltage at tank plug- in and all was good, dropped tank and replaced
fuel pump, now I have pressure, and still no start, checked a plug for spark and got spark, checked injector with a noid light
and turned motor over and noid light flickers, so I have voltage to injectors, but still it does not start, timing belt looks good, I''m
at a lost, so I need some help here, I' new to these cars, thanks. BTW, I did pull a code 34 which says MAP is low voltage, do
know if that would do this or not.

Ron

Emmett, Id. 87T/R 11.69@117

Re: Cranks but does not start
Wednesday, August 20, 2008 9:48 AM
I just checked compression on # 4 cyl., the one by the dist. at least I''m thinking that is 4, and there is ZERO
compression, is it possible that the timing belt jumped some teeth, cause the belt it is loose in one spot but tight in others,
help.

Ron

Wednesday, August 20, 2008 9:58 AM
sounds like you did probably jump a cog or two. Have you tried a cylinder leakage test? or try taking the timing cover off to verify correct engine timing.
Wednesday, August 20, 2008 10:08 AM
The timing cover is removed, how do I verify that valve timing is correct, I do see a mark on the cam gear, the crank gear
looks to have a dimple or something, how do I tell that all is aligned, and what do I align too??

Ron

Monday, August 25, 2008 3:14 PM
update, yes jumped more tha a cog, jumped 90 degrees, cause was the water pump, installed new pump and belt,
hit the key and fired up instantly, I set the dots straight up, or the cam gear at 12:00 and crand gear at 6:00, does that sound right
or should I have moved a tooth or so 1 way or another, let me know.

Ron

Tuesday, August 26, 2008 9:01 PM
UR car should have label on the engine area with the emission label on the shock tower wall(mine does) and shows the timing.The pointer plate will be in 1 or 2 degree incrimates.If it is not marked count back from 0 and mark it before top dead center.I know my 85 is 6 degrees b4 tdc.The emissions label will show the timing .May I suggest buying a haynes manual covering 82-94 js it has all the small talk and timing specifics for various model yrs and etc.Hope this helps.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search