OIL PRESSURE SENSOR 2.2 MOTOR: - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
OIL PRESSURE SENSOR 2.2 MOTOR:
Friday, August 22, 2008 11:58 AM
1) i've located the oil pressure sender and(switch?), i think-----directly under the intake manifold.
Has anyone had any experiences changing this? What do you think the best way to get at it is?

2)What i'm trying to do is (and by the way, i have the Z-24 gauge package) install a mechanical oil pressure gauge and was planning on "T' ing" off the electric gauge. However, are there alternate places where i could do this being that the oil pressure sender is very difficult to get at much less see?

Re: OIL PRESSURE SENSOR 2.2 MOTOR:
Saturday, August 23, 2008 6:59 PM
stewart griffin wrote:1) i've located the oil pressure sender and(switch?), i think-----directly under the intake manifold.
Has anyone had any experiences changing this? What do you think the best way to get at it is?

From underneath the car.

stewart griffin wrote:2)What i'm trying to do is (and by the way, i have the Z-24 gauge package) install a mechanical oil pressure gauge and was planning on "T' ing" off the electric gauge. However, are there alternate places where i could do this being that the oil pressure sender is very difficult to get at much less see?

Its not difficult from under the car. I don't know of any other ports, either on the rear or front, that will give you oil. Theres one other on the rear that I can think of, but its only a plug to nothing.

Sunday, August 24, 2008 10:41 PM
That is the easiest place...

However if this is a pre 98 2.2 then it should not be hard at all to get to the two 1/4" NPT pipe plugs on the pass side rear of the motor...thats where my sender is...

You will need a fitting that is male 1/4" NPT on one end and reduces it to female 1/8NPT or whatever your gauge setup requires. (Most are 1/8NPT)

The 1/4"pipe plugs are 1/4 square drive...just use a small 1/4x1" socket extension and make sure your using a quality socket wrench....they are not easy to retrieve after being heat cycled over a few thousand miles...

Buildin' n' Boostin for 08' - Alex Richards
Sunday, August 24, 2008 10:58 PM
Got this pic last year after I pulled the 2.2 (from a 97)

I'll have to dig through the weeds to get to a really old 2.2 from a 1990 to see if it is the same.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Sunday, August 24, 2008 11:00 PM

Monday, August 25, 2008 7:05 PM
^^^does'nt work on 98+^^^

but should work on 1990...I'm pretty sure that portion of the block didn't change.

Buildin' n' Boostin for 08' - Alex Richards
Monday, August 25, 2008 8:14 PM
Kardain wrote:Got this pic last year after I pulled the 2.2 (from a 97)

I'll have to dig through the weeds to get to a really old 2.2 from a 1990 to see if it is the same.

yeah it will work there, where the sensor can is the same place i have my feed line for my turbo.

When in doupt, grub.
Tuesday, August 26, 2008 8:40 AM
Thanks everyone! i think i forgot to mention that, yes, this is a 1990 engine; i don't believe that the sensor on the 90engine is that close to the oil filter as in the 97 picture. i think it is more located leftwards, nearer to the ignition coil things almost underneath the throttle body.

Also, it seems like the 90's oil filter is located more rightward/outboard as compared to the 97 engine.

What i was originally trying to do is to really find out if my oil pressure gauge was acting funny or if the oil pressure really was, in fact, acting funny. It would either read really low especially at idle and/or it would bounce around abruptly and at unexpected times while driving. But strangely enough, the oil pressure (or gauge?) has pretty much stabilized lately. i still will probably do it, just to make sure, but i think i must temporarily put this project on hold, because another, possibly more urgent problem has cropped up. Please see my other post relating to overheating.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search