N/A 2.0 Turbo swap info - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
N/A 2.0 Turbo swap info
Sunday, August 24, 2008 5:40 PM
K, this site is a ghost town when it comes to 2.0 turboing. There is some info about swapping in a 2.0 turbo motor, thats pretty straight forward....

Im not seeing anything about Turboing an N/A motor. Is there any members still active on here that have done this. If so post up and share your info.
I raped a grand am 2.0 turbo at the junk yard and after i do the getrag swap on my 94 bird here in a few weeks. Im gonna turbo it.

There are some important things i dont see anywhere on this site. Coolant and oil lines to cooler???? The oil return is NOT! on the pan, its in the block. Coolant lines arent on the n/a either.

WHat im going to do is (and anyhting thats wrong somone speak up because im a noob at turbocharging) im going to get a T fitting for the oil pressure sending unit and use that as the feed source for the turbo, then just tap a hole in the upper part of a spare oil pan i have here and put the return into that. As for coolant lines, The elbow where the rad cap is, the turbo version had a fitting on it for that, so im swapping that piece out obviously, And i dont know where the other coolant line is? was it t-ed off of a htr hose??? The block is gone already so i dont have a reference for any of this anymore...

exhaust is straight forward. Injectors of course will be swapped, harness and ecm too... I have that.. Intake, i havent decided yet. The na is better if i read right, but it seems like its missing a few ports on it.

Im sure i may have some other questions, but when i do this, ill be sure to take pictures and document it for some help for anyone else who may do this, because unless im blind, there isnt @!#$ about this on this website. 2.0 info is dead.

And another thing. its a 94, it almost doesnt look like this turbo is gonna clear the ac compressor and lines, and possibly fan, anyone know if this stuff changed through the years?

89 355 s10 blazer
94 sunbird, 2.0 turbo 5spd getrag swap
Turbonetics turbo, intercooler, E85 20psi

Re: N/A 2.0 Turbo swap info
Sunday, August 24, 2008 5:42 PM
can you not edit posts on this forum?

89 355 s10 blazer
Sunday, August 24, 2008 10:35 PM
I can't answer your question about clearning the radiator, but I can tell you that the stock turbo isn't going to be very fun for you. It does decently at higher boost levels which you will not be able to run in the N/A motor but down low it is a turd. Your gains will be minimal and eventually detrimental. Your best bet is to place a larger framed turbo on there and run 5-6psi. The intake manifold from the N/A isn't really better, it just holds a larger throtte body. You can swap them if you bore the turbo manifold or better yet grab a fierro TB. The oil return can go into the pan, I ran a MUCH bigger turbo on my old sunbird and ran it unto the pan because the turbo hung too low. The coolant feed comes from the T-stat housing and the return is a T. the factory oil feed actually is a T at the sender just like you are planning. If you want to make any kind of decent power, what you really need to address is the bottom end. Find yourself some used turbo pistons and rods and throw some ARP bolts in them, you will be much happier. The ECU is also more than capable of running you past 350hp and 25psi if you burn a chip.

Sorry you didn't pick a more prominent platform/motor. I got out of it because every part I had on my motor had to be custom made. My race motor and all of the high dollar parts got sold to build my GTI (450whp VR6 with a GT35R turbo.)

Cardomain|Myspace

Monday, August 25, 2008 11:06 AM
well heres the thing, The bird is my daily driver so dont dont want to have to drive my blaze any more than i have to so what i was going to do was convert this to turbo, get the bugs worked out and make it drive good. Then i can locate a real turbo block and bottom end and put it in when i get the time to do so...

As far as this turbo, what i planned on doing, was just running like 5 psi or whatever, why would that not work with the stock turbo?

And the coolant T, im having trouble seeing what line it t'ed into. is it just that big coolant tube that runs behind the engine?

89 355 s10 blazer
Monday, August 25, 2008 1:03 PM
I lost all the pictures of my sunbird when my last computer died or I would show you. It basically just needs to T somewhere returning to the reservoir. 5psi on the stock turbo is well under its efficiency range and because of that, you would need a huge external wastegate to keep the rest of the exhaust out of the turbine or you will be spiking to ridiculous levels of boost at launch and creeping up after it levels. The turbo was too small on the engine with low compression at high boost, it is WAAAY too small on higher compression at low boost. The set-up will physically work and you can say " I am turbocharged." but you will get none of the benefits.

Cardomain|Myspace

Tuesday, August 26, 2008 4:14 PM
OK i see what your saying now. Ill still do it probably just like i said, so all that much more of the setup will be done. SO when i put in the real turbo engine it will be a breeze. Thanks for the help. Im sure ill ahve more questions.

89 355 s10 blazer
Tuesday, August 26, 2008 7:07 PM
Very few people ever get past the "I'm gonna do it" stage for this engine.

For a reliable swap using factory equivalent parts you'll want:
turbo and exhaust manifold
27-30 lb/hr injectors
appropriate fuel pump
distributor and plug wires
turbo car ecm, chip, and MAP sensor

Other considerations would be :
3 core radiator from turbo car
oil return must go to pan (as mentioned above) because block not drilled and tapped
intercooler
turbocharger coolant and oil supply lines and fittings (also mentioned above)
turbo car front exhaust pipe
forged pistons (gm uses too much timing in the turbo cal, even with lower comp pistons)
tuning software and chip burning equipment
larger exhaust piping

I guess that's enough for a start. I've posted the answer to this question here and on v6z24.com before so there's more reading if you want to look around.

-->Slow
Tuesday, August 26, 2008 8:57 PM
Thats for that info slow..

I can give everyone my word that this will happen, im an auto tech for a living so comming home and working on the bird instead of the blaze is no problem LOL

That and i have every single piece you mentioned above ecept the forged pistons, larger rad, and intercooler. I even have an ostrich emulator i can tune the car with that im currently using for my blazer.

89 355 s10 blazer
Wednesday, August 27, 2008 12:04 AM
I can take the forged pistons out of the higher mileage block I have if you want to buy them. Just clean them and use new bearings/arp rod bolts and you could use that turbo in its efficiency range.

Cardomain|Myspace

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 5:41 AM
HEY! thats what ive been looking for. Shoot me an offer. Btw u notice how many miles were on that motor?

89 355 s10 blazer
Wednesday, August 27, 2008 4:53 PM
Also, at work i had to put a new engine (ecotec) in a sunfire.... So i just put a big cart under the car and lifted the car up with the lift and left the engine and trans come out together sittign on that cart. IT worked frickin awsome.

SO i was wondering, can you drop the engine and tranny out below on a sunbird to? If so, ill just kill 2 birds with one stone and do the tranny swap and put new rods in the engine and swap over the turbo harness and turbo stuff all at the same time.

Let me know.

89 355 s10 blazer

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 6:43 PM
GOD DAMNIT, somthing i just thought of, you cant use the turbo pistons with the new 92-94 cylinder head. Which mine is new. and the turbo one is toast from a piston hitting it. damn. What about the harness plugging into a crank sensor, did the turbo version have a differnt crank sensor than the new style engine?

89 355 s10 blazer
Thursday, August 28, 2008 4:11 PM
I like to pull the motor out the front of 3rd gen J's. It is sooo much easier if you know how to pull the front end apart quickly. I picked up that habit from work on VWs. The easiest way on the bird for me was to pull it out the top because I had next to nothing in my engine bay, no power steering pump, no A/C, no hvac fan, windshield wiper motor, nothing... When I originally pulled the first motor it came from the top and it was a bit of a pain. I pulled it as one assembly with the trans. You are going to want a Turbo ECU so using turbo parts shouldn't be a problem.

Cardomain|Myspace

Monday, September 08, 2008 8:18 PM
ok i have another question, today i got off work an hour early, so i buzzed over to the salvage yard before they closed and grabbed me a clutch pedal, shifter, shifter bezel and boot, master and slave cyl with line, didnt have a chance to get the two cables...

Here is the question, im doing the getrag swap, so what are the differences between the getrag and isuzu trans mount/slave cyl mount bracket, and the line bracket????

Please tell me they are the same so i dont have to search the net for the right ones because there are no other turbo cars here.

89 355 s10 blazer
Thursday, October 02, 2008 4:54 PM
BUMP!

so from what ive been told, the mount is different (which ive bought from somone now) and the brakets are also differnt ..

ARe the two shifter cables different?

89 355 s10 blazer
Thursday, October 02, 2008 9:29 PM
the two shifter cables are diffrent but can be slightly modified to work you need to makes one cable like 2 inches longer on the end just use a piece a 1/8 inch steel and drill two holes
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search