Runs Rough - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Runs Rough
Saturday, September 20, 2008 10:33 AM
On rainy or damp days when I start my car it has a rough idle until it warms up. The other day I washe the car including the motor and when I started it it ran really rough. Now I cannot get the idle down to normal but it's performance is acceptable when driving. Any thoughts on this matter. Thanks

Cavyguy08

Re: Runs Rough
Saturday, September 20, 2008 8:44 PM
Check the EGR valve out.Remove it and make sure the pintal in most models moves up and down freely.The diaphram inside it normally wears out and causes a change in vacumm pressure causing irratic idle.Now granted it could be the idle air control or even the tps going.The two listed would set a code in most cases but not always.IF the egr has the vac line going to it disconnect it and see if it makes any difference if it does then replace the egr or clean it with carb cleaner and wire brush to remove the carbon build up and reinstall and if no change then buy a new egr (only if when vac line discon made better).That's what came to mind right off.Hope this helps start the diagnosis.SIde not could be the engine temp sensor (cooling) going bad bc is affects the how the eng runs cold to hot and idle.This sensor is at the thermostat housing area and only like 10.00 for most.IF the sensor is way old I would not rule it OUT by any means.

Sunday, September 21, 2008 6:26 PM
^ what he said

Sunday, September 21, 2008 7:09 PM
check/replace the plug wires, mine used to do that every time i washed the engine, new plug wires and i can soak it and it doesnt do anything
Tuesday, October 07, 2008 6:06 PM
Thanks for the input. Turns out there was a plug boot problem. Now I have a hgh idle issue. I replaced the IAC and scans show that there is an issue with the IAC and nothing else.My mechanic also tried another IAC but the results are the same. What else is there to look at between the computer and the IAC?

Cavyguy08
Tuesday, October 07, 2008 9:31 PM
Could be the tps is acting up being they DO not always set a code.U can go to this site http://www.wellsmfg.net to scroll the list to see the how to check specific issues.Being it would take 4ever to tell u how to check it with a multimeter this gives u a step by step on how to varify if the part is defective.Unless the map sensor is going I would start with the tps,then check the map sensor which is also on that same site on the how too's.

Saturday, October 25, 2008 9:48 AM
hey! about what "Ron love" said... Check the EGR valve out.Remove it and make sure the pintal in most models moves up and down freely... my english is noot very good, so i didnt udnerstand wtf its the "pintal"... does anybody can xplain it to me XD... i know how to take off the EGR but i didnt understand whats the "pintal"
Saturday, October 25, 2008 9:29 PM
It's simple the egr is held down by normally 3 bolts and once removed is one part.The inside of the egr has a rubber diaphram inside the seal unit and a metal pintal (similar to say a nail) and it controls the vacumm pushing up or down on it based on the engines temperature.U can see the pintal once removed only from the bottom of the egr and u can physically push it up or down.Now if it does not move easily u should clean it with a wire brush,sand paper etc to remove the normal carbon build up that accumulates on it from age/wear.Now once this is done if there is no change in the cars running and most do have a vacumm line going to it,disconnect it and see if it improves and if so after you have cleaned it then u more than likely need to buy a new egr valve bc the rubber diaphram inside has probably deteriated and no longer holds the vacumm required to work properly.I hope this is a more understandible version of how the part works in conjuction with the emissions systems on most cars and js in general.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search