Instrument cluster swap? - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Instrument cluster swap?
Tuesday, November 11, 2008 2:03 PM
My girlfriend has a '91 Sunbird with the OEM speedo/idiot light combo...we'd like to swap the factory tach/speedo/gauge setup into her car (it's a 2.0/auto) but I gather from browsing thru the threads on this board that it might be a bit easier (wiring-wise) if we pulled the gauge cluster out of an existing 2.0 car? Will it make a difference either/or if it comes out of a 3.1 car, for instance?

I'm going to assume that the factory wasn't kind enuff to leave a few extra wires tucked up under the dash for this kind of "upgrade"...if there's anyone out there who's done this swap, I'd appreciate a heads-up on any potential problems. I'd also appreciate knowing if there is any significant wiring/connector changes between 91-94, again with respect to this swap.

FWIW, we'll also be throwing a tilt wheel into her 'bird, if that's relevant.

Thanx in advance!

94 Sunbird LE 3.1/5spd purple/black sr
94 Sunbird LE 3.1/5spd blue/grey a/c/t

Re: Instrument cluster swap?
Tuesday, November 11, 2008 2:11 PM
dont know if it is a straigth swap but i got eh parts if you need em
Tuesday, November 11, 2008 8:11 PM
I've got access to good parts, Bob; I just need to know if the wiring in the V6 cars (dash-wise) is significantly different from a 2.0 'bird...the yards up here are full of 'em!

94 Sunbird LE 3.1/5spd purple/black sr
94 Sunbird LE 3.1/5spd blue/grey a/c/t
Sunday, November 16, 2008 3:43 PM
Yes, they're different. There is a How-To written for swapping a 3.1 cluster into a 2.2 car, but not for a 2.0. Search the forums on V6Z24.com, and check out the pictures link at the top of the forums for pics of wiring diagrams to see just what the differences are.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search