Aftermarket tach in a 2.0L 93 sunbird [help] - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Aftermarket tach in a 2.0L 93 sunbird [help]
Sunday, November 23, 2008 4:25 PM
I posted this in the "newbies" section but I figure it'd be better to post it over here.

I'm trying to hook up a tach in my 93 sunbird (2.0L, 5 speed, no stock tach :/ ... )

I have the same tach as my buddy put in his Neon, he just had to connect the signal wire to the ground on his ignition coil.

Here's my ignition coil...

Coming out of the clip on the right side is four wires; white, red and 2 black wires. So far I've had no progress in getting the tach to actually read the RPMs, although i know there is power going to it because the lights work and when i turn the tach on the needle jumps a tiny bit (the tach is on a switch cause it was easier to wire. If anyone can tell me where to hook up the signal wire I'll mail you a dollar. I'm getting very frustrated with this and i think i pulled something in my shoulder trying to splice wires with my pinkies (cause there's no room under there for a normal sized human arm) and I'm on the verge of throwing my car off a cliff.

If anyone could tell me where i need to put the signal wire it would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Aftermarket tach in a 2.0L 93 sunbird [help]
Monday, November 24, 2008 5:15 AM
I used to have a 93 Sunbird with a 2.0L OHC 4-cylinder and 5-speed tranny... (same car).... and I installed an aftermarket tach in it..

There is a wire coming off the computer (behind the glove box) that you have to tap into in order for the tach to work (its the only tach signal wire on the car that I know of)

I have it written down in my old service manual..... but its at my parents.... if I cant find it online.... i'll call and ask them to tell me and get back to ya.

Monday, November 24, 2008 5:21 AM
Here we go.... I got this from the Autometer web site (I called and asked autometer when I installed mine, and mine worked)

this should be it

Tachometer Signal Wire Installation
for 2.0L engine(s)
Locate the PCM behind passenger side of dash. Blue conector, pin A6, white wire is the tachometer signal.

I just used one of those blue wire tap things to hook into it.

It says behind the dash.... but it's right behind the glove box.... if you remove the door, and a plastic cover... its not hard to get to.

Monday, November 24, 2008 10:21 AM
SWEET! Thanks. I read/saw something about a white wire on the ECU but it was in a wiring diagram for a 2.2 off a sunfire or something.
Wednesday, November 26, 2008 2:01 PM
Just for anyone searching this later- The "white wire, terminal B11 on the center connector" trick will ONLY work on 1994 2.2s.

Wednesday, November 26, 2008 3:43 PM
Sweet, she works mint, thanks.
Wednesday, December 10, 2008 4:51 PM
I guess I might as well throw a couple picture up.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search