Need help on A/C delete - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Need help on A/C delete
Sunday, July 20, 2008 5:28 PM
Just like the heading says, I deleted the Air Conditioning system and i need help on the serpentine belt situation. There is no way the belt that was on it will apply enough tension to spin the water pump. What did '93 Cavaliers have in the absence of air conditioning, different pulleys or was the belt ran a different way. Help me please! I'm almost ready to drop the motor back in the car!

Thanks a million,

Brian

Keep watching, good things to come!

Re: Need help on A/C delete
Tuesday, July 22, 2008 8:04 AM
Call a local chevy dealer's service or parts department and aks to talk to somebody who's worked there when they sold 93 cavy's. Summitracing lists a serpentine belt for 3.1v6 without A/C http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=GTR%2D4060615&view=32&N=700+4294924761+4294908216+4294907963+4294840055+4294846624

Friday, November 21, 2008 5:24 PM
that belt wont work . u need a different belt one shorter or go to one that don't have ac and it will work
Sunday, November 23, 2008 5:29 AM
I too deleted the AC in my sister's CavZ24. Original belt was 710k6. Books list the 615k6 or 61.5" belt, just like the one in that Summit link in Spike's post. Either non AC models had a bigger pulley somewhere, or their just were no 3.1s without AC, which of all the 60degree GM v6s I've worked on, I've never seen one without AC. So anyway, I will prolly try a 610k6 or 605k6 as the 615 fits loose on the accessories.
Monday, November 24, 2008 5:52 PM
OK....... You guys better have a karma button on this board...

I tried a few different size belts and a 600k6 (60" belt) fits perfectly. Only problem is that it rubs what would be the timing mark if we had a distributor, not to mention, I wasn't very happy with the mere inch of water pump to belt contact patch. The timing mark can be ground down an 1/8" to make the belt not rub, but upon further research, we found an idler pulley that is for nonAC models only. It bolts in a hole about 3 or 4 inches forward of the tensioner pulley. You can see the spot sticking out for it on the timing chain cover. We got the pulley from Advanced for $17 or so. The only problem is the bolt. It is a 12mmx1.75 pitch, but a regular bolt will not hold it in. You either have to find the shouldered bolt in the junkyard or buy it at the dealer, unless somebody with a Dorman or Help! catalog and good searching skills can find it. Anyway, I sent my father to the junkyard with new pulley in hand to find a bolt. Aside from other 2.8s and 3.1s, I told him to check the bolt from anything without AC. We are going to check 4 cyl cavs, and 6 cyl any GMs, and also Tauruses (I seem to remember something that would work on my old Taurus). Altho I think the one on the 2.2 cav will be the same. I will know for sure 2moro or day after.
Monday, December 01, 2008 9:53 AM
Put on the idler with a bolt from a random Ford idler. 615k6 works, but you need the extra idler.
Sunday, January 04, 2009 3:46 PM
I Did that convert. years ago but if i remember correctly that bolt should of come with the new idler. Gm lists everthing you need on there computer proper belt and idler number.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search