battery wont charge - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
battery wont charge
Friday, January 09, 2009 10:32 PM
hi im new here and i was just wondering if anybody could help me with a problem i've been haveing for some reason my battery wont charge i have a 89 z24 with a 2.8 so far i've replaced the alternator, starter, all the wireing from the alt to the starter to the battery, fuseable linkes new grounds for everything, a new battery checked all my fuses. the car is ok till the battery gets drained then it wont charge its self back up ive started the car and unhooked the battery to see if the alt was any good and the car shuts off like the alt is no good but its new and ive had it tested to see if maybe it wasen't no good but it tested ok im really stumped on what it could be.

Re: battery wont charge
Saturday, January 17, 2009 11:52 PM
Have you bothered to check the belt assumming urs has one, not sure on the 2.8 but if the belt is OLD it probably is not running the alternator to charge the battery up to begin with properly.IF the belt is over 4 yrs old CHANGE IT.This will cause the low charge.You have done all the obvious stuff and unless u have a short or draw off the system while the car is OFF the belt should be replaced.U should have at least 12.0-12.5 with the car off (key in the off position).Kudos for all the effort but sometimes the most obvious is overlooked and a friend had a similar issue like urs diff veh all together and repl all 3 starter,alter,batt and sure enuff the belt for the alter which was separate was toast,unlike urs which should be one belt it could be the belt is slipping and not charging the system while the car is running and you go to start it the next day to a dead batt.Do the belt and if no change u probably have short in the wiring from the alternator to the battery somewhere.Hope this helps the oldschool.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search