Spark plugs? - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Spark plugs?
Saturday, December 20, 2008 5:08 PM
What heat range/brand works well with the V6 (old 3.1L MPFI)? Should I replace the plug wires while I'm at it? What type do I need? Is there anything else I should do while changing out spark plugs?

2010 Honda Fit LX

Re: Spark plugs?
Sunday, December 21, 2008 11:32 AM
I just changed mine and I put in platinum AC Delco's from the dealership. I got my wires from there too. I don't have any performance done to my car though so they're fine for me.
Sunday, December 21, 2008 3:52 PM
I'm not really looking for performance, just to replace the old units, and I wasn't sure what dealers still carried for these old engines.

2010 Honda Fit LX
Monday, December 22, 2008 4:13 PM
Nope, Dealerships still have it.
Saturday, January 03, 2009 8:23 PM
If you don't mind, how much did they cost you? I only have about $100 in my car jar right now.

2010 Honda Fit LX
Monday, January 19, 2009 4:55 PM
Well the 2.8/3.1 were in all sorts of things and that generation was in production from 1987-1994. So parts will be plentiful. The current AC DELCO OE plug and wire set is: R44LTSM / 706T. I am running AC DELCO wires and Autolite XP5245 Fine Wire spark plugs. Seems to do well with the tweaked and chipped 3.1 I am running on premium gas.

Since it is DIS (Distributorless Ignition System) a tune-up is really nothing more than a spark plug change plus maybe air filter, gas filter, fuel injector cleaner and cleaning the throttle body with some spray.

GM Powertrain Engineer
Currently in Charlotte, NC
Worked at Lordstown Assembly in Mid 90s
Hamtramck, Lake Orion, Lansing Grand River
Currently work on older cars but support
any GM make or any car for that matter.
Owned 3 J's over the years among other cars.
Currently 88 Z24 Convert. Mostly stock.
Mild exhaust, chip, CAI, stereo, etc.
Feel free to hit me up on anything!
Tuesday, January 20, 2009 2:44 PM
PlanetCadillac wrote:Well the 2.8/3.1 were in all sorts of things and that generation was in production from 1987-1994. So parts will be plentiful. The current AC DELCO OE plug and wire set is: R44LTSM / 706T. I am running AC DELCO wires and Autolite XP5245 Fine Wire spark plugs. Seems to do well with the tweaked and chipped 3.1 I am running on premium gas.

Since it is DIS (Distributorless Ignition System) a tune-up is really nothing more than a spark plug change plus maybe air filter, gas filter, fuel injector cleaner and cleaning the throttle body with some spray.

Thanks! I did the air filter and changed out the oil when I got it, but I'll look into the rest of it. I'm hoping this bit of work will have it running better (if I'm lucky, almost back to the factory numbers). Also, what kind of spray works good on the throttle body? I doubt it's been touched in it's 16 years of life.

Also, if your Z looks like it does in your profile, that is one beautiful car.

2010 Honda Fit LX
Tuesday, January 20, 2009 7:29 PM
I updated my pics to reflect the latest 2008. Those before pics were older.

You can use regular old carb cleaner in a pinch but parts stores sell Intake/Throttle Body cleaner that is useful. I have had my car since 1992 and there isnt' anything except for the seats and dashboard that has been left untouched.

GM Powertrain Engineer
Currently in Charlotte, NC
Worked at Lordstown Assembly in Mid 90s
Hamtramck, Lake Orion, Lansing Grand River
Currently work on older cars but support
any GM make or any car for that matter.
Owned 3 J's over the years among other cars.
Currently 88 Z24 Convert. Mostly stock.
Mild exhaust, chip, CAI, stereo, etc.
Feel free to hit me up on anything!
Thursday, January 22, 2009 10:58 AM
Wow. Love the color.

good to know about the throttle body cleaner. I'm sure I can find some around town.

2010 Honda Fit LX
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search