cold start issues - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
cold start issues
Monday, February 23, 2009 7:08 AM
1992 Cavalier 3.1 5speed

My Cav is acting strange. In the last month or so when it's cold outside (30 degrees or less) I go to fire the car up and the ABS light stays on. I also notice the radio and the blower motor does not work either. The seems to run fine and the brakes work. After a minutes or so, the parking brake light will start flashing.

If I shut the car off and back on a few times, the ABS light will usually go off and instantly the radio/fan will start working. The strange thing is if I stop the key on ACC before starting everything works fine until I try starting it up.

This is driving me nuts. I have asking around and no one seems to have a clue what could be causing this. The car never done it before a big ice storm we had a while back. Now it does it nearly every morning when it's cold. When its warmer outside or if I don't start it up until later in the day it always works.

Any ideas what I could check?

Re: cold start issues
Tuesday, February 24, 2009 9:25 PM

Based on your description I am strongly leaning towards the ignition (where u place the key to start the car).Being it resets to normal when u restart and or it's fine when on the acc position things work clearly are signs you probably need to replace the ignition itself.I have dealt with this not the same issues but,no blower or radio not working while the car is on and when cold.Being u have no running issues missfires,running poorly rules out a engine problem.My guess is the contacts on the switch itself are worn and do not may proper contact making the dummy lights stay on as if in the acc position.Check auto zone or advance auto parts they will carry this part probably as a next day or several days to get it regardless.This is what to do.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search