Car stalls. - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Car stalls.
Thursday, May 21, 2009 6:14 PM
My Brother has a 90 Sunbird Gt, Originally 2.0L turbo ,But was Swapped for a 3.1.
The Car was parked behind my house for a few weeks, Started every 3-4 Days for a few minutes. But one day i went out and started it, It started up second flick, and stayed running for a few seconds , Then died. Now it wont start at all. Ocasionally It will start for a few seconds and Die again.... I figured it was the Fuel pump, But I tryed again a last week And i drove it for about 5 minutes without a problem and it died.
Anyone know what could Be a Problem Or possible issue? Before i Go hauling the tank out and switching pumps?

www.V6Z24.com

Re: Car stalls.
Saturday, May 23, 2009 10:17 PM
Irronically a fuel pump going can be a biatch.I know first hand mine started with hesitation and ran then hard starting.It ultimately failed after I had at the time a shop find the issue and find low fuel pressure (i had the car only a couple months) at the time.So I go get it to take it home and replace the pump myself and it died finally.Just do a fuel psi check that will varify the issue.It took me 3 hrs to do mine and that time includes getting tools,clean up and putting it up on jack stands etc.Unless the fuel filter is way OLD, the pump is prolly gone you can change the filter 1st b4 the psi check (i would) and if it checks out low.The specs for a 3.1 non turbo are 41-47 psi at idle.It will increase 5-10 psi with the regulator vacumm hose disconnected.If u do the pump and it still does this it prolly one of the injectors going and u can check those with a multimeter they should show 11.8-12.6 ohms on resistance.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search